Answered - 85 SC to platinum | Page 2 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Answered 85 SC to platinum

Matt_01

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum 1
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
If you do let your daughter go after WP I would suggest easiest would be ADL-BNE rtn in J (120 SC) or one way in Y and one way in J (90 SC). IMHO it is a lot less messing around than other routes being suggested. It is just a straight return flight and she is only 13.

Last edited:

Matt_01

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum 1
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
@Steamrollersam I am going off topic, as you have posted limited details e.g. is a family member/ friend or yourself going to be travelling with your daughter? As you indicated that you are not into status runs, I am assuming that you are not planning to travel with her. I find the notion of getting her to WP is ok if it is within reach; however, if you plan to put her on a solo status run at 13 just to hit WP, I would wonder why you would do that.

Do not get me wrong, I am not passing judgement, most flights be it international or domestic go to plan, what if this one does not. Your daughter may get suck in some airport with noway home. I live in ADL so am quite aware that the frequency of flights is limited, I have a daughter of a similar age who is more than capable of flying and transiting airports. When she travels with her mother I give them both all the details and am confident that MissM is more than capable of getting from point A to B even if a transit/ transfer is involved than her mother, but things do (and have gone) south she still has an adult with her.

If she is going to travel as UM there is a level of assurance that she will be looked after I also am assuming you are aware of the UM rules. Although many of the responses were trying to be helpful and answer you question, some of the suggestions to send a minor (be it girl or boy) on routes to NZ or BNE-CNS are ridiculous.

I will now get off my soap box and wish you the very best in the decision you make.

Steamrollersam

@Steamrollersam I am going off topic, as you have posted limited details e.g. is a family member/ friend or yourself going to be travelling with your daughter? As you indicated that you are not into status runs, I am assuming that you are not planning to travel with her. I find the notion of getting her to WP is ok if it is within reach; however, if you plan to put her on a solo status run at 13 just to hit WP, I would wonder why you would do that.

Do not get me wrong, I am not passing judgement, most flights be it international or domestic go to plan, what if this one does not. Your daughter may get suck in some airport with noway home. I live in ADL so am quite aware that the frequency of flights is limited, I have a daughter of a similar age who is more than capable of flying and transiting airports. When she travels with her mother I give them both all the details and am confident that MissM is more than capable of getting from point A to B even if a transit/ transfer is involved than her mother, but things do (and have gone) south she still has an adult with her.

If she is going to travel as UM there is a level of assurance that she will be looked after I also am assuming you are aware of the UM rules. Although many of the responses were trying to be helpful and answer you question, some of the suggestions to send a minor (be it girl or boy) on routes to NZ or BNE-CNS are ridiculous.

I will now get off my soap box and wish you the very best in the decision you make.
Very good points raised and this is why I put the original question up! On returning from our most recent holidays I checked my daughter's account as my SC's from QF flights hadn't posted after a week. This is when I discovered an AA flight she took (without me) had earned double what I earned myself on the same flight a couple of days prior, bringing her reasonably close to WP. ADL-SYD came to mind as the first option (and only option travelling solo realistically) as we have truckloads of relatives there. Any other routes I would have needed to go, and I needed some convincing it was worth it as I don't enjoy flying THAT much. I'm not that far off from P1 myself but I'm not necessarily chasing it. I'd decided not to book my daughter on any flights yesterday. Then I got a 50% bonus SC offer for me (not her!) this morning.

Spieck

Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Red
I personally wouldn’t chase the points. My son had gold (not platinum)
status at 15/16 and when he flew alone he was refused lounge access most of the time. For this reason I asked qantas if they would defer status until he was 18 and answer was no.
Only reason is if you are travelling internationally as a family in economy and want easier access to first lounges.

Mike65

Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
With the above point regarding access (or not) to the lounges when unaccompanied I can't see the point of chasing status, especially not with a status run that costs >$800. She'll have access when with you, regardless of her own status. It sounds like you might have a stack of points in the QFF bank so, if you're that keen on her getting WP, you could request the 120,000 point status upgrade.

jpp42

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
you could request the 120,000 point status upgrade.
I've only seen that offered for existing WP holders who need a boost to remain WP. Is it really available if you're qualifying from Gold ?

Steamrollersam

For flights to London? Or a general one?
General one. Email header "Fly to Tokyo, get 50% more Status Credits" but body said any flights on QF metal booked within 7 day of dates of email for travel up to the 20th of February. This was after I did a search last weekend for flights to Haneda I plan to take in January.

levelnine

Email header "Fly to Tokyo, get 50% more Status Credits" but body said any flights on QF metal booked within 7 day of dates of email for travel up to the 20th of February. This was after I did a search last weekend for flights to Haneda I plan to take in January.
Lucky person!

AFF on Air Podcast

• Married Segments & More – AIR024
    Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:32:20 AEDT
      Airlines seem to love married segments, but for frequent flyers and travel agents they can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes you'll find an award seat on a flight you w ...
  • HARS (Historic Aircraft Restoration Society) – AIR023
    Sat, 02 Nov 2019 13:24:03 AEDT
      The Historic Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) boasts a collection of over 60 aircraft, including a retired Qantas 747, Super Constellation and DC-3s. John Travolta's Bo ...
  • “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...
  • Are Loyalty Programs a Scam? – AIR020
    Sat, 21 Sep 2019 08:36:18 AEST
      The ACCC recently released a damning draft report into Australian loyalty schemes, calling out practices that it says may shock consumers and putting loyalty program opera ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miguel Tovar