787 Heading To The Paint Shop | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

787 Heading To The Paint Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bundy Bear

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map

simongr

Enthusiast
How on earth have Boeing managed to build this on time? It feels like it was only just announced when the A380 started getting very delayed and already they are tarting to roll out???

Yes I know this is not a commercial model but it seems to be happening so much faster...

Just looks to me like a 777

Evan

Established Member
simongr said:
How on earth have Boeing managed to build this on time? It feels like it was only just announced when the A380 started getting very delayed and already they are tarting to roll out???

Yes I know this is not a commercial model but it seems to be happening so much faster...

Just looks to me like a 777
The smaller plane is much easier to build they say, but also Boeing have been spending very very big on extra engineers etc to make sure its on time, but its costing them a lot to keep it on time by all accounts. Had the A380 not being delayed they may not have worked so hard to keep the 787 on time, i think they really want to give them some "well atleast ours was not late" type treatment to Airbus.

E

jakeseven7

hmm shape does just look like a 777 but can't see ends of wings i guess...

damn boeing marketing got me with their swept back styling illustrations, looked like something very different, this looks boring... BUT guess its one model from one angle so hoping not representative...

Mal

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
They build em quick....

I was at the Boeing factory at the end of March. On that Monday they were going to start building the first 787.

Would have been nice to see. Not sure if they're now showing the 787 build line on the tour or not yet.

Plenty of 787 material including mock-ups and composite shells to play with in the exhibits section there.

straitman

Flights
My Map
jakeseven7 said:
hmm shape does just look like a 777 but can't see ends of wings i guess...

damn boeing marketing got me with their swept back styling illustrations, looked like something very different, this looks boring... BUT guess its one model from one angle so hoping not representative...
I guess the real answer is with how the a/c performs vs its costs and that we won't know for some time. :cool:

NM

Flights
My Map
straitman said:
I guess the real answer is with how the a/c performs vs its costs and that we won't know for some time. :cool:
Boeing have a pretty history in that space. Although the early model RR RB211-524G engines did let them down on the 744 performance specs for a few years. I understand RR had to pay compensation to QF (and probably other airlines as well) for every flight they made due to under-performance from their engines. Following the upgrade to the Trent hot end, making the engines RB211-524H/T models, the performance was back to the promised levels and compensation ceased.

But that was very minor compared to the under-performance of the A340-300.

Evan

Established Member
Also Boeing have been saying along the development path that they have even realised better performance (or rather reduced fuel consumption) that originally planned by a few % , so it looks promising.

Should be good, lets just hope if it is really a big step forward that QF and others replace some of there aging planes with them. Not that the QF fleet is that old but it will be getting that way when the A380 and B787 order start to be delivered in quantity.

E

NM

Flights
My Map
Evan said:
Should be good, lets just hope if it is really a big step forward that QF and others replace some of there aging planes with them. Not that the QF fleet is that old but it will be getting that way when the A380 and B787 order start to be delivered in quantity.
No need to hope. QF has plenty of them on order now to replace their aging 767 fleet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paragjain