60 days to redeem miles or they will be reclaimed???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrpasqualee

hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this for me...

I signed up for an ANZ Visa/Amex Qantas card mid last year as it had a 20,000 QFF sign on bonus for $95 annual fee.

I put minimal purchases through the card (better earn on other cards), and rang to cancel in January. They offered me 2,500 QFF points to keep the account active (on the proviso that if I cancelled within 90 days of the bonus 2,500 points, that they will be forfeited) which I happily accepted.

4 months passed, so I rang to cancel the card, which was no issue. However after they confirmed the card had been cancelled, they informed me that I had 60 days to redeem all qantas points I had been awarded; otherwise they would be forfeited??

Has anyone experienced a similar situation? Does ANZ actually have the capacity to withdraw miles from my Qantas account?

Would it be possible to bypass any such withdrawal by transferring my miles to a family member, and them transferring them back to me at a later date?

any insight appreciated!

Has anyone experienced a similar situation? Does ANZ actually have the capacity to withdraw miles from my Qantas account?

Would it be possible to bypass any such withdrawal by transferring my miles to a family member, and them transferring them back to me at a later date?

any insight appreciated!
As far as I am aware once points are in your QFF account the credit card company cannot get them back.

I cannot see how they could, but I would not take the risk, use the points in the shop if you have to just to use them up.

I don't think that's right. maybe the rep was referring to the ANZ Rewards program, not the Qantas one.

ANZ can not "get back" your QFF points

Perhaps you have some points in your ANZ account they have not been transferred ?

I'll take the contrary view here and suggest that if ANZ advised Qantas that they (ANZ) had 'overpaid' a customer QFF points then QFF would remove those points from the customer's account and credit ANZ the amount they paid for said points.

Last edited:
I'll take the contrary view here and suggest that if ANZ advised Qantas they they (ANZ) had 'overpaid' a customer QFF points then QFF would remove those points from the customer's account and credit ANZ the amount they paid for said points.

Could this be avoided by moving all points out of my account, and moving them back in a few months from now?

yeah I think I'll do that, and hope for the best!
I wouldn't worry about it.

ANZ may have had a remote chance to take the points from your account. There is no way they would be able to reach to a different account where the points have been transferred.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back