4000 points for supplementary card

Status
Not open for further replies.

burmans

Got this offer in the mail today (Platinum Edge). Given both wife and I have the card can I get a supplementary card for her and her for me?

Also thinking of getting for my 18 yr old daughter but not actually giving her the card. Why would she be interested in that deal I hear you ask, well she gets benefits of my FF points from time to time, it helps her get a (positive) credit record so it will be easier to get credit when she really needs and there are occasions (e.g. Overseas trips) when I really would like her to have a backup should she get in trouble. And of course abuse it and Ill take it off your inheritance! Actually am confident she wouldn't abuse in reality.

Got this offer in the mail today (Platinum Edge). Given both wife and I have the card can I get a supplementary card for her and her for me?

Also thinking of getting for my 18 yr old daughter but not actually giving her the card. Why would she be interested in that deal I hear you ask, well she gets benefits of my FF points from time to time, it helps her get a (positive) credit record so it will be easier to get credit when she really needs and there are occasions (e.g. Overseas trips) when I really would like her to have a backup should she get in trouble. And of course abuse it and Ill take it off your inheritance! Actually am confident she wouldn't abuse in reality.

Both my daughters in their early 20's and studying have had a Select for some years and now also an Edge - much rather they are able to buy groceries, medical etc than my wife and I always doing the chores. The girls never received an allowance (thank goodness for the local Chinese sweat shop take away for underage jobs) with any personal card expenses added to the 50:50 car loan.

Why would she be interested in that deal I hear you ask, well she gets benefits of my FF points from time to time, it helps her get a (positive) credit record so it will be easier to get credit when she really needs

A supp card does nothing for a credit record of a supp card holder, as the person holding the credit is the primary card holder (you).

plus (until changes) there is no positive credit record, except with the bank itself issuing the card (i.e. repayment history).

plus (until changes) there is no positive credit record, except with the bank itself issuing the card (i.e. repayment history).
Yes I know, I work in the Credit industry and am intimately involved in Comprehensive Credit Reporting implementation but those changes are only 9 months away.

Even if it is only with the bank issuing the card that helps if you apply for credit with that bank.

Yes I know, I work in the Credit industry and am intimately involved in Comprehensive Credit Reporting implementation but those changes are only 9 months away.

Even if it is only with the bank issuing the card that helps if you apply for credit with that bank.
Indeed. So you believe a supp card will be positively reported under the changes? I know little about them, so this is a genuine question.
if so, it seems a little odd that you could just charge many expenses through sips for others to help them build a history.

Indeed. So you believe a supp card will be positively reported under the changes? I know little about them, so this is a genuine question.
if so, it seems a little odd that you could just charge many expenses through sips for others to help them build a history.
It's hard to predict how credit providers will treat this since credit decisions are a bit of a black art not well understood or disclosed internally and certainly not disclosed even at industry forums.

Nevertheless from overseas jurisdictions ( e.g. US, UK) this does seem to be a recognised way to build a positive history. The big issue with building a credit history is that in general it's hard to build a history if no one will lend to people who don't have one.

As such the following set of steps seems to be a bit of a tried and true path
- get a card as supplementary or co-borrower with someone with a good history and establish a history of making small purchase and paying them off
- use this to get credit in your own name with same borrower and establish history of good payment
- because this history is shared with other credit providers you then have established a good credit history and can shop around

This is a gross simplification and various credit providers have different credit decision strategies so really I can't guarantee it will work for all lenders but its a pretty good general strategy used overseas and it would seem likely to work to your advantage here also. And I can't see a downside!

How long have you had your Plat Edge? Anyone else got this offer? Could you issue it in the name of your imaginary pet? I mean it's just a supp card...

I received this invitation via email today. The website makes reference twice to being able to apply online:

1. If you can say yes, go ahead. Your application takes less than 10 minutes and we may be able to give you a response in less than 60 seconds.

2. To be eligible for the $0 annual Supplementary Card fee offer and the 4,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points offer, the Basic Card member must have received an invitation for this offer and must apply for the Supplementary Card by completing and returning the enclosed application form; or online at amexantics.com.au by 31 August 2013.

But I'll be buggered if I can find an online application!! All I can find is an 'Apply Now' link that launches a PDF application to be printed and faxed/posted. Grrrrrrr.

I already have a plat edge, plat reserve and plat charge, I received this offer via email, will I be rejected to get a supp card for the edge? I already have a supp edge card and a supp plat charge card for my wife...

I received this invitation via email today. The website makes reference twice to being able to apply online:

1. If you can say yes, go ahead. Your application takes less than 10 minutes and we may be able to give you a response in less than 60 seconds.

2. To be eligible for the $0 annual Supplementary Card fee offer and the 4,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points offer, the Basic Card member must have received an invitation for this offer and must apply for the Supplementary Card by completing and returning the enclosed application form; or online at amexantics.com.au by 31 August 2013.

But I'll be buggered if I can find an online application!! All I can find is an 'Apply Now' link that launches a PDF application to be printed and faxed/posted. Grrrrrrr.

The apply now link launches into an online application form for me.

If you click the type of card you have it opens an online application form for the edge or the reserve, the platinum charge opens a PDF for. To print and return by mail...

If you click the type of card you have it opens an online application form for the edge or the reserve, the platinum charge opens a PDF for. To print and return by mail...

Ah, all good now - thank you!! Applied accordingly :)

Mainly out of curiosity I made up a name and applied - and card arrived today! Do i have to use it to get the 4k points?

Yeah wondered about that, but then figured the main account is mine and that's who takes the financial responsibility for the account

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Currently Active Users

Back