28 Degrees C/C under Latitude

Status
Not open for further replies.

apj01

I have just been overseas and used my 28 Degrees c/card quite a bit as I always do while travelling, but this is the first time I have done so since Latitude took over the card.

I noticed this time that the exchange rates are fairly terrible. Under GE, the exchange rates were fairly good,but now they are just woeful.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I noticed this time that the exchange rates are fairly terrible. Under GE, the exchange rates were fairly good,but now they are just woeful.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Can you provide some examples?

Can you provide some examples?

Sure. A hotel bill for INR26940.03 came through at AUD $553.75. Even with a really bad exchange rate (using OANDA Converter), I would have thought that it should have been AUD $524 approx.

Another amount of INR2484, came through at $50.43. A bad exchange rate would have been $48.33.

Yeah, I know its only a few dollars, but both are about 5% more than then a bad exchange rate. Under GE, the exchange rates were closer to a realistic exchange rate.

It's not so much a whinge rather an observation. And a perception that Latitude isn't as good as GE was. It is what it is.

And of course it's up to me to find a better card.

Are you sure you settled the bills in INR - the 5% sounds more like DCC occured - that is you actually paid in AUD for the hotel bill, rather than INR.

If you are looking for alternatives, I recently used Coles plat card overseas in NZ and for online purchases in USD the rates seem very close to interbank rates that master card uses. So quite happy with it.

Of course you do have to pay the $89 fee for the previlage. Works out for me as it my main MasterCard for domestic spend as well.

I used my 28 Degrees card in Thaland and Vietnam in Dec / Jan and found the rates very good. One time the hotel, put through my bill in AUD but I asked them to revert back to THB which saved me a few dollars. I'm with Oz_Mark - sounds like you've been charged in AUD rather than INR.

You either got shafted or got DCC, same thing really. The card still uses the same rate sit always has- Mastercard interchange rates.

I use the card weekly for overseas purchases or prebooking of holiday items. The rates have remained very good.

I just used mine in HKG, BKI and SIN. I got great exchange rates every time. I agree that it sounds like you got DCC'd. I hate that and am very careful now. I catch them out quite often.

What is their view nowadays on preloading? My 5K limit won't go far for a month in NYC. I do still have the ANZ Rewards Tvl, and BWW cards to help out though, and both say low forex and good exchange rate.

Last edited:
What is their view nowadays on preloading? My 5K limit won't go far for a month in NYC. I do still have the ANZ Rewards Tvl, and BWW cards to help out though, and both say low forex and good exchange rate.

Never had an issue with preloading. But I don't generally need to do it. The whirlpool thread will probably have the latest, it seems quite active.

I have still found the rates to be excellent, as close to the Interbank rate as any card. The rates for purchases on this card always seem just slightly better than withdrawals from the Citi Plus debit card. This is based on recent correctly processed transactions in Mainland China, Hong Kong and Indonesia.

I have still found the rates to be excellent, as close to the Interbank rate as any card. The rates for purchases on this card always seem just slightly better than withdrawals from the Citi Plus debit card. This is based on recent correctly processed transactions in Mainland China, Hong Kong and Indonesia.

Citi debit was a visa. They use the previous days rates (good to know if there was a large o/night drop ;) )

It is being reissued as an MC IIRC.

Just confirming that rate still true for overseas credit card purchases?
Also pay 28 degree bill via direct transfer of funds to 28degrees account not BPAY?

US$, Chilean peso, Argentine peso and South Pacific XPF converted very close to spot, over the past month.

Still happy, Jan. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Staff online

Back