2019 Skytrax Worlds best Airline | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

2019 Skytrax Worlds best Airline

boomy

AFF Supporter
The ranking make some sense, at least for the top 3 in each category.

Quickstatus

AFF Supporter
I wonder what is the utility of these awards?
In a way it’s similar to wine award/medals.
I’ve only patronised 5/10 of the first list and an unsure how this helps me.
What’s the underlying selection method?. Apparently this is passenger feedback?

odysseus

Just an online poll. But it boosts awareness of Skytrax to the passengers voting, and thus brand awareness, which gives more desirability to Skytrax to its airline customers. And gives the airlines something they can promote in marketing.

Nothing scientific or rigorous to it, but you can see how it helps both sets of businesses.

Mattg

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
This is Skytrax - they tend to favour airlines that pay them for consulting services ;)

It's always interesting to see these lists when they come out, but I won't be making any purchasing decisions based on them.

dajop

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
It's always interesting to see these lists when they come out, but I won't be making any purchasing decisions based on them.

It is interesting, but despite the consulting fees etc, they do tend to reflect the current general consensus of the various airline related forums, reviewers and bloggerati. (But you will always get some bad reviews of every airline from time to time).

If you look at their top 10, most of the airlines on that list would probably be well established as reliable, quality carriers (although TG does surprise me fa little). It probably gives more of a boost to less well known carriers, such as EVA and Hainan. I know based on reviews and ratings I've flown EVA a couple of times recently and been pleasantly surprised, such that I would happily travel them (if they offered the right routing) over most of the other carriers in the Top 10.

Mattg

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
It is interesting, but despite the consulting fees etc, they do tend to reflect the current general consensus of the various airline related forums, reviewers and bloggerati. (But you will always get some bad reviews of every airline from time to time).

If you look at their top 10, most of the airlines on that list would probably be well established as reliable, quality carriers (although TG does surprise me fa little). It probably gives more of a boost to less well known carriers, such as EVA and Hainan. I know based on reviews and ratings I've flown EVA a couple of times recently and been pleasantly surprised, such that I would happily travel them (if they offered the right routing) over most of the other carriers in the Top 10.
That's probably true, but why did they drop TK to a 3-star airline shortly after they ended their agreement with Skytrax? IMHO TK is a 4 or even 5 star airline.

It also seems strange that they would upgrade LH to a 5-star airline shortly after they paid Skytrax for consulting based on a product that has not even been launched yet. I do like LH and personally think they deserve the 5-star rating, but it does make you wonder.

Interesting... wonder how they work out the 'cleanest airline'? Microbiological swaps of the trays, white glove inspection of the Du nnies? Clean galleys? Is it based on aircraft emissions? Fresh clean aircraft paint jobs?? What with quick turnarounds and large scale cost cutting, IMHO there are a lot of planes with pretty dusty and dirty interiors flying now.

Melburnian1

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
That's probably true, but why did they drop TK to a 3-star airline shortly after they ended their agreement with Skytrax? IMHO TK is a 4 or even 5 star airline.

It also seems strange that they would upgrade LH to a 5-star airline shortly after they paid Skytrax for consulting based on a product that has not even been launched yet. I do like LH and personally think they deserve the 5-star rating, but it does make you wonder.
Mattg, just out of interest, how do you know TK terminated and LH commenced a consultancy agreement with/from Skytrax?

Not doubting you, but it's something I've not seen reported.

Mattg

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Mattg, just out of interest, how do you know TK terminated and LH commenced a consultancy agreement with/from Skytrax?

Not doubting you, but it's something I've not seen reported.
It was fairly widely reported at the time. I don't remember exactly where I read/heard it.

p--and--t

All airlines have there pluses and minuses and the experience will vary flight to flight depending on a myriad of factors, including passengers mood LOL but some airlines seem to get it right more often than not.

Based on personal experience there's one airline (LH) in their top 10 (non LCC) I don't intend travelling on again in a hurry, especially in Y+ if there are other carriers, other options.

Nor will I fly EK in Y if there is another option. (5 flights, 5 bad experiences)

Out of dozens of airlines, I've also flown on; QF, SQ, CX and QR that are on the list I would certainly be OK booking again.

No experience yet with BR, HU, NH.

I haven't flown TH for 20 years so not sure where they are at now.

Validity of Skytrax rankings - not so sure

juddles

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Hmmmm..... so Qantas makes the generic top ten list, but disappears when you talk about cabin staff. Am thinking that these lists are reasonably accurate :)

p--and--t

Hmmmm..... so Qantas makes the generic top ten list, but disappears when you talk about cabin staff. Am thinking that these lists are reasonably accurate :)
I was going to disagree and then noted EK was dropped from the list (all my EK Y experiences woeful), I am in agreement with that, so maybe there is some correlation in the rankings to actual.

While I like travelling QF, I find QF cabin crews annoyingly variable from fantastic (had some really great experiences) to so-so. But not had a really bad crew like on some airlines.

juddles

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I was going to disagree and then noted EK was dropped from the list (all my EK Y experiences woeful), I am in agreement with that, so maybe there is some correlation in the rankings to actual.

While I like travelling QF, I find QF cabin crews annoyingly variable from fantastic (had some really great experiences) to so-so. But not had a really bad crew like on some airlines.
I have recently suffered some really annoying failures with QF crew, but despite this still rank QF very highly. At the end of the day the Skytrax awards are probably skewed by underlying financial influences, but IMHO are still as valid as anything else out there to produce rankings.

justinbrett

This is an honest explanation of how skytrax works by YouTuber Josh Cahill. I don’t have much faith in them after watching this.

pauly7

AFF Supporter
Skytrax is barely worth the energy taken to write this post. I find it pretty useless and suspect it’s a bought and paid for endorsement.

Recent Posts

AFF on Air Podcast

• The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episode ...
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes – AIR014
    Sat, 29 Jun 2019 00:40:35 AEST
      Last week, Qantas announced a major shake-up to its Qantas Frequent Flyer program. In this episode, former Head of Loyalty at Malaysia Airlines, Mark Ross-Smith, joins Matt ...
  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dajan