20% off Award Flights

Discussion in 'Qantas Frequent Flyer Program' started by bambbbam2, May 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. bambbbam2

bambbbam2 Active Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Perth, WA

2. dajop

dajop Senior Member

Jul 1, 2002
    SIN
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Wow how splendidly generous!! Hmm .... let me see I can book an award flight from Melbourne to Launceston 1 way for 7,000 pts + $48.02 in taxes, OR I can buy a fare for $59.00. Now if I want to go with my partner under this fantastic offer, I can spend 14,000 pts + $96 in "taxes" OR I can spend $59 in total for the two tickets and spend 0 points. Which brings me to another beef - how on earth can taxes and charges on a "free" flight that you have to redeem points for, be $20 per person greater than if I actually paid for a fare?

3. aus_flyer

aus_flyer Established Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Brisbane
    Interesting point.
    Though the 2-for-1 offer is only limited - plus, if you spend the points you can actually fly QF instead of deathstar!
    But nevertheless an interesting find!

4. tanewi

tanewi Intern

Nov 30, 2005
    And when you pay for the fare, you would accrue 2,000 points!

5. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    This cheaper fare is flying deathstar right?

Are you comparing taxes/charges for award flights and paid flights on QF? In which situation are the taxes/charges $20 per person greater on an award flight rather than a paid flight?

I was curious with the statement you made and checked availability for MEL-LST next Sunday 11th. The one way fare is $130.52 ($75 fare + $55.52 taxes/charges). For the award booking on the same flight the taxes/charges are $48.02. The taxes/charges for the paid fare are exactly $7.50 more than the taxes/charges for the award fare which would be the GST component on the $75 paid fare.