10% Surcharge to Use AMEX at the Pineapple Hotel, Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

gvix

Intern
I was over at the Pineapple Hotel for a Christmas Party and was absolutely blown away when the counter lady told me that the surcharge for using AMEX was 10%. I told her I couldn't believe that and she said yep true. I asked to see the manager and yes, the manager told me the same thing.

Surely - this is downright unethical (if not illegal?). I can't understand how they can get away with charging such a huge surcharge.

(Yes, I realize, I can just use another credit card - but that is besides the point I am trying to make :) ).

What's the maximum surcharge you have seen for using AMEX?

I guess they call it the pineapple hotel for a reason....

That's my Xmas cheer done for the year!

Is there any way that Amex can be told and possibly inform the merchant that they are charging an extortionate and hopefully illegal surcharge?

That's ridiculous alright and it can't represent the actual cost of processing the transaction.

Slightly OT, but on our trip to the Gold Coast a week ago I noticed that there were surcharges for using any type of credit card almost everywhere we went. Most places had a little sign up advising of between a 1.5% to about 3% surcharge unless you chose "Savings" when you swiped your card. I don't see that in Sydney (though I don't travel out to the west or southwest much) and friends from Brisbane said they hadn't seen it there either.

10% is a joke... I'll let the ~2% surcharge slide (and probably chose to pay with Visa/MC instead) but 10% I'd kick up a fuss... maybe even quote the ACCC and argue that before the transaction was entered into, I wasn't informed of the rediculous 10% fee therefor I'm not paying it....

Displaying prices | ACCC

Credit card surcharges

Businesses can choose whether or not to pass on the cost of accepting credit card payments to their customers. However, if you decide to impose a credit card fee, you must ensure your customers are aware—before they enter into the transaction or contract—that a fee will apply and the amount of the fee.

You can report them on the Amex site. The credit card providers are responsible for ensuring merchants pass on only the 'real cost' of processing the transaction.

Can't find the page on my mobile...

Yes I can't find the page to complain to AMEX either. If anyone finds it, please post.

Taxis have been charging 10% on all credit cards for years....

It's actually more like 11%. The "service charge" for processing an electronic payment is 10%, of which then you add another 10% on top of this service charge to account for GST. So a grand total of 11%. (Cabcharge vouchers are not subject to the GST, but they do incur the service charge, IIRC).

There's other places which charge 10% for credit cards; some not worth mentioning to American Express.

10% is the highest surcharge I've ever heard of for a place which serves food and beverage.

Up to a maximum of $2. Above that and they are not required to accept the coins. So this is basically a pointless protest.

In the case of 5c it's up to $5 worth.

What about the other coin denominations?

According to the Currency Act 1965 (section 16) coins are legal tender for payment with the following limits:

not exceeding 20c if 1c and/or 2c coins are offered (these coins have been withdrawn from circulation, but are still legal tender);
not exceeding $5 if any combination of 5c, 10c, 20c and 50c coins are offered; and
not exceeding 10 times the face value of the coin if $1 or $2 coins are offered.

According to the Currency Act 1965 (section 16) coins are legal tender for payment with the following limits:

not exceeding 20c if 1c and/or 2c coins are offered (these coins have been withdrawn from circulation, but are still legal tender);
not exceeding $5 if any combination of 5c, 10c, 20c and 50c coins are offered; and
not exceeding 10 times the face value of the coin if $1 or $2 coins are offered.

Are the limits for each denomination of coin or includes all coins in the same limit cluster?

For example, can you have $5 in 5c, $5 in 10c, $5 in 20c... or is it $5 limit for all of 5c, 10c, 20c and 50c combined in a single transaction?

Probably may be still difficult to cover a meal and a drink if you tried to pay it all in shrapnel...

Slightly OT, but on our trip to the Gold Coast a week ago I noticed that there were surcharges for using any type of credit card almost everywhere we went......

You mean "Surcharge Paradise"? We noticed it too. Much more prevalent than many other places in Australia.

Simple fix .....Go to the Morrison Hotel next time ...... same distance from the Gabba as the Pineapple......better food / service / atmosphere than the Pineapple IMHO
Went to the Morriy last night all good ...and used the AMEX .....nil surcharge

I'd also be tempted to drop a few nice bold posts on the Pineapples Facebook page referencing just how appropriately named the Pineapple Hotel appears to be 'given the easy of which they are able to insert the rough end' when it come to their AMEX surcharge. Bit of the power of social media 101 in order here..........

Simple fix .....Go to the Morrison Hotel next time ...... same distance from the Gabba as the Pineapple......better food / service / atmosphere than the Pineapple IMHO
Went to the Morriy last night all good ...and used the AMEX .....nil surcharge

I'd also be tempted to drop a few nice bold posts on the Pineapples Facebook page referencing just how appropriately named the Pineapple Hotel appears to be 'given the easy of which they are able to insert the rough end' when it come to their AMEX surcharge. Bit of the power of social media 101 in order here..........

Or or better still the Storey bridge! It like the pineapple is not a Woolies pub.

How many pub patrons would pay a 10% surcharge I wonder. That pub must be run by bloodsucking leeches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back