Amex Ultimate Card - Sydney / Melbourne Centric?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramboflyer

I have just been approved for the Ultimate card and overall I like it and think it will be a keeper but there are some negatives depending on where you live.
Best bits:
- 100,000 bonus points
- $450 flight credit which negates the annual fee
- 1.5 points on most spends
Not so good bits (for me anyway):
- The $450 flight credit must be used on a QF flight. Thats ok if you live in Sydney or Melbourne but in Hobart Jetstar has about double the number of flights in and out as Qantas do so your options are limited on flight times and costs are greater. As an example Jetstar now fly direct from Hobart to Adelaide and later this year sale fares are starting at $65 (club Jetstar members). The same fare on Qantas would be about $700 more for 2 people and would not be a direct flight.
- Amex and Qantas lounge access. Amex is limited to Sydney and now Melbourne. Again most of my domestic flights (and connecting international flights) are to Melbourne on Jetstar which arrives and leaves from Terminal 4 and there is a long walk to the end of that terminal to board.. With limited time it is nearly not worth it to rush to a lounge and back after checking in luggage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back