Would you pay $195 for 23,000 QFF points?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philosiphier

Just doing a quick ask to those of you 'in the know' - would you consider this if it was offered to you?

Nope. It's a VERY bad deal.

You could easily get that amount and more from a credit card sign up for free or for a much lower price. Go for the Jetstar offering and have your points in just a few weeks.

And what would you do with such a small amount of points?

Last edited:
Just doing a quick ask to those of you 'in the know' - would you consider this if it was offered to you?

Nope. It's a very bad deal.

I actually think at 0.84c per QF point, it is quite a good deal....if you are reedeming for QF premium awards, you often can get 3c+ per QF point value :)

Personally, I would take it. Although YMMV specifically depending on your intended use of the points and the value of such use.

An example: my desired use of QFF points is for EK or CX J Australia-Europe. This is redeemed for 128k + surcharges + taxes. I would value this redemption at around $2k (nominally what I would pay), so when you consider the surcharges, 1c per point in my mind is good value (and easy to remember!). That is totally based on i) intended use of the points vs ii) value of that use to me [I would not pay the ticket price so pointless comparing to that]

Another factor I have left out is if you have a need for those points: for someone with ~500k QFF points, they may value the extra bit of cash compared to points, and vice versa for someone with ~50k QFF points.

Yes, absolutely. The redemption ticket you could get for 23,000 points would cost way more than $195 to buy.

Nope. It's a VERY bad deal.

You could easily get that amount and more from a credit card sign up for free or for a much lower price. Go for the Jetstar offering and have your points in just a few weeks.

And what would you do with such a small amount of points?

ive just applied for and was granted the ANZ black so I doubt another application would be accepted so quickly.. The points would only be added to my existing balance, no immediate plans

There's no way this is something you should do. Why pay for points when you can get them for free from credit card sign ups.

ive just applied for and was granted the ANZ black so I doubt another application would be accepted so quickly..

You'd be surprised.

I had 9 new cards last year.

And 3 new cards so far this year - I'm aiming for 12 in 2016.

At the moment I am spending $20 to get 1,740 QFF points. It's a marginal call as an international economy redemption to/from BKK/HKG works out to ~AUD600 one-way which is not that great and you don't earn SCs or QFF points. A business class redemption to/from BKK/HKG works out to ~AUD950 one-way which is a little bit better.

What it does highlight is the obscene fuel surcharges added on to award tickets. Need to find a sweet spot there.

Anyway I think 23,000 QFF points for $195 is a much better deal.

You'd be surprised.

I had 9 new cards last year.

And 3 new cards so far this year - I'm aiming for 12 in 2016.

i should add that I'm having to close that newly approved card because I was silly enough not to read the T&Cs and notice that the card companies have now added a little 'no like cards in the last 12 months' clause. Of course I only cancelled my ANZ QFF cards in November last year so not eligible. Big bad credit score hit and no points from it... Bah humbug!

Im not a big earner so I dunno how another application would go?

Personally, I would.

Having just received my first CC, and only just scraping through to get it, I don't have a lot of options, so that sounds reasonable!

notice that the card companies have now added a little 'no like cards in the last 12 months' clause.

Not all have done this. ANZ did it because in 2015 they stuffed up badly and didn't count on many people applying for different versions of the same car simultaneously and earning 50,000 points each time for free.

Having just received my first CC, and only just scraping through to get it, I don't have a lot of options, so that sounds reasonable!
The irony of this statement is that yes, it is indeed hard to get your first card, given you have no credit history.

However once you have one and a little bit of credit history, it really doesn't take that much time until it suddenly becomes a whole lot easier. So I think its a mistake to extrapolate your first card experience to gaining of subsequent cards (at least once you have a few months of successfully paying for the card every month under your belt).

There's no way this is something you should do. Why pay for points when you can get them for free from credit card sign ups.

Strong advice. Not everyone wants to play around with their credit rating. I certainly wouldn't if I were not much older than 16.

Can't help but think it depends on what you have in mind, these are some scenarios:

$2373 + surcharges ($1500?) for RTW in business class YES!
$1187 + surcharges ($1200?) for RTW in economy class PROBABLY!
$67 + surcharges ($30?) for oneway MEL-SYD in economy .. OK
$508 + surcharges ($250) for SYD-SIN return in economy ... NO WAY!

I would personally take it as I would certainly get more than $195 in value from those points. But it depends how you plan to use them. It would not make sense to buy them at that price and then redeem for international economy or points + pay flights (or worse, toasters etc.)

How exactly are you planning to buy the points though? QF doesn't exactly allow the sale of points.

The irony of this statement is that yes, it is indeed hard to get your first card, given you have no credit history.

However once you have one and a little bit of credit history, it really doesn't take that much time until it suddenly becomes a whole lot easier. So I think its a mistake to extrapolate your first card experience to gaining of subsequent cards (at least once you have a few months of successfully paying for the card every month under your belt).

Being on AUStudy doesn't help ;)

Would you pay $195 for 23,000 QFF points?
YES - in a heart beat - especially right now when FF pts of all breeds are getting harder and harder to accumulate / cultivate / harvest - who knows how the cards will fall over changes in the air - I'd bank those without blinking - a small sum of money in the overall scheme IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back