Woolies Visa Gift Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

albyd

Established Member
Hi,

I was at my local Woolies yesterday and spotted the Visa gift cards (up to $500 charge).

It's clear on the packaging card can only charge with eftpos (assuming the merchant fee on a CC eats into the $5.50 issue fee which they're not keen on).

I tried to put it through with some other items at the checkout and was asked how much I'd like to charge it. Was later told I'd first have to pay for the gift card as can't charge it in the same transaction.

I didn't want the hassle of trying to get a refund for the gift card if they wouldn't let me charge it with my CC so I didn't buy the gift card.

Have any other members had any experience with this product?
Assuming they enforce the eftpos only rule, will you be able to get your $5.50 refunded if you don't want/need to proceed?
Is it possible to charge these at self serve checkouts? Has anyone had any success in charging them from their credit card at either type of checkout?

Interested to hear others' experience.

Similar experience. Couldn't charge it with a CC and got the refund without any trouble, just disappointed that CC wasn't allowed - $5 fee is 1% of face value on a 500 card but could be up to 10% on a $50 card, I figured it was there mostly because of CC fees.

Thanks OzEire,
I think I'll give it a go next time I'm in woolies. May get lucky to sneak one past on Edge card. Otherwise, should only take a few mins to get a refund. Not a big risk. I'm assuming most of the cashiers are clued up to watch out for credit payment attempts (unless the system automatically enforces eftpos) otherwise might get lucky occasionally.
Has anyone tried at. Self checkout?

Based on what I have been told, these cards are owned by Visa but branded Woolies or Australia Post etc and it is Visa that impose the cost of the card. Sellers do not take payment by CC because it could cost more in fees to sell you the card than the profit made from the sale.

Thanks OzEire,
I think I'll give it a go next time I'm in woolies. May get lucky to sneak one past on Edge card. Otherwise, should only take a few mins to get a refund. Not a big risk. I'm assuming most of the cashiers are clued up to watch out for credit payment attempts (unless the system automatically enforces eftpos) otherwise might get lucky occasionally.
Has anyone tried at. Self checkout?

I can help there too... It brings up the little flashing light and "operator assistance required" prompt.

I learned this after buying one using a self checkout with no issues the first time with a credit card ... I think (not sure) that a lazy operator just logged-in and overrode the error, but maybe the rules changed, it was about 2 years ago. Didn't work a second time so I stopped trying.

Might give it a try at a busy CBD Woolies where they just want to get you through. Agree, might not work but only a few mins of my time to test it out :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Back