Wishing your life away

Mr H

Established Member
I have been churning for a couple of years, but really started doing it in earnest a few months ago. I have noticed myself getting ever so impatient, waiting for card to be approved, waiting for cards to arrive, waiting for points to post, waiting for the 12 (or 18) months to elapse... I wish it could be February so I can convert Amex points to KF and get elite gold status that will expire as far in the future as possible. It occurs to me that it is a strange way to live, wishing your life away based on the time taken to churn cards. Has anyone else felt this way?

Haha... It's a new addiction.. The feeling will subside 😉

I was the same in the beginning, hunting for bills to pay to see my points balance increase lol.

Yes, I know the feeling….a little excited but also feeling like you're wishing your time away. Especially with every planned trip being cancelled as they get closer…..waiting for the time where you can actually take it.

Yes, I know the feeling….a little excited but also feeling like you're wishing your time away. Especially with every planned trip being cancelled as they get closer…..waiting for the time where you can actually take it.
Yeah, this is my problem now. Booked for June, but still very apprehensive that something will occur to prevent it. 3 years of imprisonment is getting to me, as I used to take 1 or 2 trips every year.

I've decided to have as much fun and travelling as I can while freedom lasts, now that I know they will happily take it away at any time.

It occurs to me that it is a strange way to live, wishing your life away based on the time taken to churn cards. Has anyone else felt this way?
Given since I discovered churning I've never flown less than business class, the answer is an emphatic no.

Churning isn't for everyone.

There are studies done about this sort of thing. Perhaps it's not unsimilar to the kids in my class (high school teacher here) who love nothing more than 'levelling up' in their latest computer games. It comes down to a psychological feeling of success and accomplishment.

There are studies done about this sort of thing. Perhaps it's not unsimilar to the kids in my class (high school teacher here) who love nothing more than 'levelling up' in their latest computer games. It comes down to a psychological feeling of success and accomplishment.
Exactly. Credit card churning is simply a game and thus comes with all the familiar psychological (and, in this case, financial) benefits and risks of an addictive game. I consider this game to be one of the more valuable ones given that it comes with considerable real world benefits in the form of being able to access travel experiences that wouldn't otherwise be possible.

For me, cracking the US credit card market certainly felt like a big 'levelling up' moment as it unlocks an entire new universe of churning opportunities. As it is a somewhat difficult one to access as an Australian, it had the sense of an achievement.

Last edited:

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Staff online

Back