Which credit card to now go with?

Hi,
This is my first post as a new member.
We have never been able to collect points due to our work but only through credit card spend. For years we have been with the NAB which historically seemed a good program. It was linked to Velocity and most of the travel we did was interstate. Unfortunately when we did fly overseas there was always an excuse why we couldn't use them on flights. In disgust 5 years ago I used them on accommodation in Rome.
NAB is down to 1 point for every $2 spent although it is not even clear if this is correct, as there is no accountability on their website.
We do plan to do more international travel over the next 10 years and am wondering what credit card/frequent flyer program we should be with? I don't know how often we will use Virgin as it is not really our intention to fly to America, but more so Europe, UK and South America. I also need to fly business class for health reasons.
Really appreciate any advice you can give my husband and I.
Thanks,
Carmel

Welcome to AFF!

There‘s no one size fits all answer with all the variables of preferred airlines, destinations and where, how much you spend pa. But this comparison article might be a good starting point to whittle down a short list?

Many have very generous signup bonuses for new customers that could have you well on your way to earning points for your next flight.

As always, to avoid disappointment premium cabin awards normally become available almost 12 months in advance and get snapped up quickly, so good advanced planning is recommended and have some options up your sleeve if the preferred route isn’t available. Especially for Europe eg if you can‘t get London, try Paris or Amsterdam etc It’s not hard to pop over to the UK and it’s actually cheaper (even on points) home from continental Europe than the London (due to the higher UK departure Tax you need to pay).

Yes, there is no on size fits all, but if you’re looking to stay with the VA program, I’d run with the Amex Velocity platinum card. I don’t have it, but my sister asked the question yesterday. They’re avid VA flyers and wanted a card to help bolster their points. It seems the best of the bunch.

Really appreciate any advice you can give my husband and I.
almost no credit cards are any good for points earning on monthly spend *unless you can get one for a NIL annual fee, for whatever reason (have a home loan, or other benefits like free flights) Otherwise most cards take at least $20k spending just to break even.

just chase the sign up bonuses, thats where you make your money,

almost no credit cards are any good for points earning on monthly spend *unless you can get one for a NIL annual fee, for whatever reason (have a home loan, or other benefits like free flights) Otherwise most cards take at least $20k spending just to break even.

just chase the sign up bonuses, thats where you make your money,
Hi
Thank you for your response. Is that $20k a month or year?

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Back