which card for us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

switched

Hi guys,

Being our first true credit card, we are looking at a card which will help us to fly interstate and overseas.
Both myself and my partner will be paying the full balance monthly, and would like 2 cards both linked to the same account. I guess it doesnt matter if amex/visa/mastercard etc but I would think a non amex card would be better due to more acceptance worldwide.
My other half will look to make about 1-2K for work purposes (then claim for them), and probably look at about another 1-2K a month between us for everyday expenses. So all up probably between 2-4K a month.
Are there any suggestions on cards for us?
We are thinking of going overseas this time next year if it all helps the decision.
Thank you

I think you have your dream set to high.

If you spend 3k a month and 75% is on Amex (1.5 points per dollar) and 25% is on Visa (1 point dollar) then after 1 year you will have 49,500 points.

For an International flight to Asia you would be looking at least 50,000 points per person (most likely more).

With your spending, I think you would need around 2-3 years to get 2 return flights to Asia.

Also note to get cards earning 1.5 and 1 point per dollar respectively you will need to pay high annual fees, which after 3 years will be significant. And don't forget you need to pay taxes when you book award flights.

Thanks for replying,
I should mention i know I wont be getting a freebie before heading to Europe, but I guess its best I can get in as early as possible to start the points accumulation.
Im hoping we could achieve a 5K spend limit per month, i only wish we organised this sooner as the other half was spending about 10K per month thru her work.

you will need to pay high annual fees, which after 3 years will be significant
Could you please explain this comment, am I likely to pay more each year as the years roll by?

i would think it will be easier to save money instead of earn enough points from credit cards to achieve some return air tickets.

don't spend more than usual to just get points. these points doesn't have any value, by the time you having enough, maybe they got devalued and you need more. maybe the company decide to cancel your card, and you could lose all the points.

maybe set a bit money aside each month, if you can afford to spend 5k a month, i don't think there will be much trouble.

Could you please explain this comment, am I likely to pay more each year as the years roll by?

the annual fee for a premium card could range from 300 to 400 a year, so by the time you used it for a few years, you end up paying thousands dollars anyway.

the annual fee for a premium card could range from 300 to 400 a year, so by the time you used it for a few years, you end up paying thousands dollars anyway.

Yeah if you want to go multiple cards including amex to maximise points you are going to pay a lot in annual fees, but there are cheaper cards that give you 1:1 without much of an annual fee. I have this stupid CardServices Gold Card (run by citibank) that costs $75 a year and earns 1:1. I won't be flying around the world any time soon, but there's no harm in letting my points build up slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back