Where to buy Foreign Currency in Australia?

Cruiser Elite

Enthusiast
I have a need to buy some Foreign Currencies - Chinese Yuan, US Dollars, Sing Dollars - any suggestions for Melbourne based outlet please? Genuine inquiry and pls no suggestions like 'use Debit Card to withdraw in country itself' - I need to buy here

plenty of options at the airport.
if you wish to purchase before depature day, I've seen these guys at my local shopping centre (never used though)

I've always just collected from Travelex.
Same. Ready within five days and collect from one of their booths in most shopping centres or from the Post Office. You choose place and time.
Post automatically merged:

Yep but bits of thieves
If you want cash in advance of travel then it's what you have to accept. Otherwise use ATM on arrival.

If you want cash in advance of travel then it's what you have to accept. Otherwise use ATM on arrival.
Partially correct - different Vendors offer different rates - Travelex rates are NEVER attractive because they have the greatest presence with easiest access - I have seen smaller Vendors whom posters claim offer significantly better rates listed on AFF in years gone by - I thought somebody might still be using them.

UAE Xchange used to be good, seems they have disappeared post covid
Now that is what i was looking for - what a shame no longer - there will definitely be a small operator in Chinatown for the CNY - and I am happy to go looking - but hopefully someone with some knowledge will assist

Now that is what i was looking for - what a shame no longer - there will definitely be a small operator in Chinatown for the CNY - and I am happy to go looking - but hopefully someone with some knowledge will assist
Lots of good places no longer exist that’s why I use Travelex. You pay for convenience of collection. Don’t want to drive into the city for a few dollars saved.

Lots of good places no longer exist that’s why I use Travelex. You pay for convenience of collection. Don’t want to drive into the city for a few dollars saved.
Yes but we are all different - and maybe we are not talking about just a few dollars

I'm not sure what quantities you are looking for but I used United Currency Exchange to buy USD late last year - they have two outlets in QV complex in the city. The rates were pretty good IIRC. Usually a bit of a queue - plenty of overseas students using it.

plenty of options at the airport.
if you wish to purchase before depature day, I've seen these guys at my local shopping centre (never used though)

Check these guys out too

Yep but bits of thieves
No recent experience, but many years ago, the TravelEx rates for pre-order to pick up were no where near as extortionate as the over the counter quoted values - and were actually better than most. That said, never going to get great rates for physical currency in AU as the volume isn't really there.

Best deal I ever got was from a Bank Branch when I wanted $US. They happened to have some (normally it was an order and collect situation) as they had just exchanged it. They decided that rather than going through the paperwork, it was easier for them to just sell it to me for what they paid for it - and effectively just reverse the transaction - so I got it at their buy rate rather than the sell rate.

Last edited:
We normally buy from Crown Currency Exchange or Commonwealth Bank. Have also used Flight Centre a few times as they had good rates.

Pre Covid, local Flight Centre (believe it or not) was very good not only for rates (not stellar, but not rip-off) AND quantity of small and larger bills of US$ and Euro. But nowadays local one doesn't stock - Melbourne might be better; worth a call or drop-in.

Auspost and some of the smaller bank branches, need a bit of notice before you turn up to exchange.
Travelex within travel agencies, I guess they would have all sorts of currencies, but might need notice too, for larger sums.
Pays to ask if they have currencies you need on hand, and if you need large sums to change, might need notice too.
===
Take along your debit card to pay, for the swap, as otherwise, they might do rounding, of the few cents, and you might loose out a bit.
Eg, NZD and AUD in my case are not an equal value swap, so I always pay Bendigo bank swap with my Bendigo Debit card.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back