When should I cancel / churn my card - got the points REALLY early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JennyMG

Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Hi there, brand new Churner here.
In my first round of churner cards recently, I got a Bankwest card, a Westpac Altitude, and ..the subject of this post...the Westpac Business Choice Rewards card.
It's only 1.75 mths since I got it - on 13th Sept. and seems I must have done the spend already, as they seem to be counting my tax as valid spend (which I thought they might becasue Govt. Charges are eligible, and it doesn't mention ATO anywhere) so I guess I was lucky there, right time, right place.

I received my 90K points today, in my Qantas account, and the last 2 months worth of Q points for the spend. (which is a pretty poor rate, but better than nothing, for business expenses.)
I hate this card. It's awkward to pay, awkward to work out my remaining credit (it works like an Amex but WORSE!) terrible statements, slow and stodgy interface, and Westpac have the most complicated billing shift system on the planet.

Question: It's not 3 months. But I have my points already. When is it safe to cancel the card? Am I supposed to keep it for 3 months? I couldn't find anything about that in the Ts and Cs.

oh, and if anyone else has one of these cards?...I thought points would go into my business QFF account, linked to my private one, but it just went straight into the private account. (despite westpac saying I had to have a bus. QFF account.)....why?

If you are putting yourself in the "churner" category (and welcome), then do it post haste - unless you have a overwhelming reason for keeping the card for some other reason that the card offers.

The concerns you raise about 3 months are nothing to worry about. I'm pretty sure this card will have an exclusion period for likely 12 months, so get that 12 month started so you can go again next year.

Cancel card as soon as points in your account. Take note of the date. Clock on exclusion period has now started.

Thanks. I'll cancel it asap.
It's an idiotic card, with an idiotic system. (Westpac in general seems to be a bit idiotic.)
I hate it. It's a gone-er.

It's funny, I got this Westpac Business Choice card at almost the same time as my WEstpac Altitude card. Did the spend on the Altitude ages ago, and still haven't got the points. Yet the spend on this one in 2 months and got points 2 days later.

As soon as you get the points cancel! I had the business choice reward card in 2017 and points went to my qff business account. Got the same card in July this tear and points are going to my personal qff account. Go figure. I am having issues getting the bonus points as they keep saying I have an exiting account even though I have proof the old account is closed. as you said Westpac in general are a bit idiotic.

Make sure you wait until the points for the last month have hit if they are substantial because sometimes I've found they say you will forfeit those points if you cancel now

aaah. Right. I will. But it's such a coughpy card, with such low points, I might just ditch it. Prob only a couple hundred.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back