what to do with AMEX reward points?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MEL_Traveller

Veteran Member
Hi all

After some advice (or pointing to a relevant thread if one exists already).

My pop has 95,000 reward points sitting on his Amex, wants to close the card.

What are the best options for transferring these? It's a simple Amex - not affiliated with any airline. My folks want to go on a 'beach' holiday - Bali or something.

Are we best to wait for some sort of bonus transfer offer? (I had a search of the last 4-5 pages on here but couldn't see anything for SQ).

TIA.

Hi all

What are the best options for transferring these? It's a simple Amex - not affiliated with any airline.

Are we best to wait for some sort of bonus transfer offer? (I had a search of the last 4-5 pages on here but couldn't see anything for SQ).

TIA.

VA are the main ones for Amex bonus transfer offers - last one was a couple of months back so if he's looking to cancel now probably best just to do the transfer as is since it won't be possible to do after the closure.

We got 2 bonus offers last year from VA mid year and December. May be worth hanging in for a few more months of doesn't need to book that trip straight away. Bonus points could more than cover the extra part year annual fee - assuming they repeat last year's offers.

Hi all

What are the best options for transferring these? It's a simple Amex - not affiliated with any airline. My folks want to go on a 'beach' holiday - Bali or something.

TIA.

Try this
http://www.australianfrequentflyer..../new-redemption-offer-using-enrich-65286.html

amazing deals at the moment to KL 56K return in J from MEL less from other departure points. I know you are a bit short but they do points plus pay aswell.
Bugger promo finishes today ...sorry

If the fee is the problem could consider asking to be downgraded to a cheaper card that still earns points to preserve balance for a while

thanks all.

we'll have a look at the points options for SQ/DJ and see if we can cancel the card, or need to hang on to it for another couple months.

the card is as basic as it gets (green - $80 p/a) and the membership rewards price is also $80. Not much point as after a few years you could buy a trip to Bali in business class anyway!

Hi all

TIA.

1/ Have him enrole in Singapore Airlines Krisfyer = free

2/ Then list 3 other people that he can redeem for = free

3/ Transfer points = 96,000 Krisyer points

4/
http://www.singaporeair.com/pdf/ppsclub_krisflyer/charts/virgin-aust-award-mar14.pdf

Redeem via Krisyer on a Virgin Australia flight Melbourne Cairns return.

Cost = 22,000 points per person. 88,000 for 4 return tickets.
Taxes and Charges = $0.00 (or at least were when I did it).

So he can book 4 people at once, 2 people twice, or go himself 4 times.
You have upto 3 years to redeem

So this is low cost, and saves to having pay any card renewal fee

From Cairns you can head north to Port Douglas, Palm Cove etc...or head south to Mission Beach.

Last edited:
If you can transfer to SQKF then I'd be doing that. 95,000 points at KF (assuming 1:1) will get one person from Australia to Bali (with a stopover in SIN if that is desired) in J, or two persons in Y.

1/ Have him enrole in Singapore Airlines Krisfyer = free

2/ Then list 3 other people that he can redeem for = free

3/ Transfer point = 96,000 Krisyer points

4/
http://www.singaporeair.com/pdf/ppsclub_krisflyer/charts/virgin-aust-award-mar14.pdf

Redeem via Krisyer on a Virgin Australia flight Melbourne Cairns return.

Cost = 22,000 points per person. 88,000 for 4 return tickets.
Taxes and Charges = $0.00 (or at least were when I did it).

So he can book 4 people at one, 2 people twice, or go himself 4 times.
You have upto 3 years to redeem

So this is low cost, and saves having pay and any card renewal fee

From Cairns you can head north to Port Douglas, Palm Cove etc...or head south to Mission Beach.

This is very good advice... follow it thru.

thanks again! while the SQ option is appealing, there are two of them. Do DJ for CNS sounds like a good idea!

Hi all

TIA.
Send them to me and I'll buy them deep discount return econcomy fares to Bali on JQ? :p

Send them to me and I'll buy them deep discount return econcomy fares to Bali on JQ? :p

Sure! I have been instructed to give you these very special miles as one of the identified beneficiaries of a multi-million dollar estate. Dear friend, in order that you may receive this award, please respond immediately with your bank account details and a copy of your passport. :p

soooo.... just to bump this... there seems to be a 15% bonus to transfer to velocity at the moment? (if I read that right).

Is the advice still to transfer direct Amex->Kris Flyer, or do Amex to Velocity (and can then transfer to KrisFlyer as required?)

The SQ-VA exchange rate is 1.35:1 (both ways), which means you would need a 35% bonus just to break even. 100 MR points would get you 115 Velocity points, which would get you 85.185... SQ miles. Unless you have a card where the VA and SQ redemption rate are different, and VA at least 19% better than SQ not including the 15% bonus, it wouldn't be worth it.

The SQ-VA exchange rate is 1.35:1 (both ways), which means you would need a 35% bonus just to break even. 100 MR points would get you 115 Velocity points, which would get you 85.185... SQ miles. Unless you have a card where the VA and SQ redemption rate are different, and VA at least 19% better than SQ not including the 15% bonus, it wouldn't be worth it.

excellent. thanks!

Turn them into AUD on a Westfield card and spend them on whatever you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back