Westpac Exclusion Periods: What constitutes "Previous 12 Months"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoping someone can share their experience with this. I have just heard that Westpac's exclusion periods are based on a calendar month (not day of the month), meaning that if you cancel on the 1st of January, then reapply the following year on the 10th of January you will not qualify for the sign up bonus.

Have any of you churners experienced this?

I'm a little concerned since I cancelled my Amplify Platinum on the 13th Feb 2019 and have just been approved for the Black on the 24th of this month. I'd hate to think that I won't qualify for the bonus, even though 12 months has clearly passed between the two cards.

For those who are *pushing it* with the 12 month exclusion period, I've been informed that Westpac's system recognises this using the calendar month.
So if you cancel on 1 December one year, then apply on 13 December the following year and fulfil the requirements, the system will see this as "within 12 months" and not credit you the bonus once qualifying spend has been reached.

I should have mentioned that you will get the bonus, however it won't be automatic and it's very very likely you'll have to chase it up.

If you chase it up, then they don't give you a goodwill gesture for late crediting, then you will have to go to AFCA for compensation.

I should have mentioned that you will get the bonus, however it won't be automatic and it's very very likely you'll have to chase it up.

That's a relief. I don't mind chasing, if that's what it comes to. It wouldn't be the first time I've had to chase a bank to keep them honest! ;)

Thanks for clarifying.

Hoping someone can share their experience with this. I have just heard that Westpac's exclusion periods are based on a calendar month (not day of the month), meaning that if you cancel on the 1st of January, then reapply the following year on the 10th of January you will not qualify for the sign up bonus.

Have any of you churners experienced this?

I'm a little concerned since I cancelled my Amplify Platinum on the 13th Feb 2019 and have just been approved for the Black on the 24th of this month. I'd hate to think that I won't qualify for the bonus, even though 12 months has clearly passed between the two cards.
Even if this was the case you would still get the points. You'll just have to push for them.

Even if this was the case you would still get the points. You'll just have to push for them.
Hmmm... Would it be better to avoid the stress/argument at the end and instead contact Westpac early on and say "The approval was more than 365 days after closure of the previous card. Please ensure this is honoured."?

Hmmm... Would it be better to avoid the stress/argument at the end and instead contact Westpac early on and say "The approval was more than 365 days after closure of the previous card. Please ensure this is honoured."?
I couldn't say.

But if you do wait and they breach the contract you could push for compensation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back