Westpac Earth Black DOUBLE Qantas points offer, for life of card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattyana2003

Just found this new offer on the Westpac site. Could be a nice earner.

Earth Black | Westpac

From what I read it says that you get double Qantas points. It doesn't say that the offer is for the life of the card but then again it doesn't have a time limit on it.

Special promotion: Earn double Qantas Points

Earn double Qantas Points after you make your first purchase with either of your cards. Apply between between 1 April 2014 - 22 June 2014.
Switches, upgrades, customers accessing employee benefits or packaged cards are ineligible for this offer.

Unfortunately I already have an Earth Black but it might be worth trying to cancel and apply again or threatening to cancel unless I get the offer too.

From what I read it says that you get double Qantas points. It doesn't say that the offer is for the life of the card but then again it doesn't have a time limit on it.

Special promotion: Earn double Qantas Points

Earn double Qantas Points after you make your first purchase with either of your cards. Apply between between 1 April 2014 - 22 June 2014.
Switches, upgrades, customers accessing employee benefits or packaged cards are ineligible for this offer.

Unfortunately I already have an Earth Black but it might be worth trying to cancel and apply again or threatening to cancel unless I get the offer too.
Yes it does:
Earn double Qantas Points on eligible purchases for the first 3 months on new Earth Black cards when you apply between 1 April 2014 - 22 June 2014.

They're also running this on the Altitude Black (superior offer for me, I know what card I'm applying for once I close my platinum charge and edge).

I have the platinum which has been in hibernation since the points capping. I'm thinking of upgrading to black even though they said if I migrate, I can't keep my $150 annual fee and have to pay full freight.

I'd like to apply for a new card so I get this offer then transfer my credit limit from platinum and shut it down. That way, I get the double points and 12 months interest free purchase offer. I have a high limit and don't like my chances of getting approved under the new credit reporting system. Anyone had any experience with getting a new card issued for a minimal limit to merge/migrate to the new product?

I have the platinum which has been in hibernation since the points capping. I'm thinking of upgrading to black even though they said if I migrate, I can't keep my $150 annual fee and have to pay full freight.

I'd like to apply for a new card so I get this offer then transfer my credit limit from platinum and shut it down. That way, I get the double points and 12 months interest free purchase offer. I have a high limit and don't like my chances of getting approved under the new credit reporting system. Anyone had any experience with getting a new card issued for a minimal limit to merge/migrate to the new product?

The misses got her platinum upgraded to the black with only a 12.5k limit.

New applicants require a 18k limit.

I am interested in applying for either this card or the altitude black as the double points for the first 3 months promotion looks attractive especially with ATO payments coming up. Essentially I'll be earning 1.25 qantas points or equivalent 1.25 miles (Krisflyer, Enrich, Velocity) per $1 spent on the mastercard. The added bonus is the 0% interest on purchase for 12months promotion that comes with it. Does anybody know whether ATO payments is considered as purchases, and does that mean I have no interest to pay on this for the next 12 months?

I bit the bullet and at the urging of my local branch, I applied for a new black card at the branch and despite my concerns, was approved for Altitude Black with a good limit. I already have a Platinum Plus with a higher limit. The branch said I would get the double points and I have some big expenses coming up so I was attracted to this deal.

I've seen my first transaction post to online banking and I logged onto the Altutuderewards site and looked at my transactions. It's only posted with normal points - no bonus points. Has anyone checked their transactions and have the bonus points been posting or do they post later? I've already spent a couple of thousand in a few days enticed by the double points or I wouldn't have bothered to apply, etc.

Interested to hear about other people's experiences and if maybe the fact I already had an Altitude card disqualified me from the offer even though the call centre and branch said it didn't.

Albyd.

Yes you were disqualified by the myriad of rules is what I am thinking.
I had to read the rules twice to figure my sons would not get a double deal due to already having credit cards from Westpac.
I got a bum steer from BankWest so I read everything thoroughly.

Hi Cove,

The closest I can find is in clauses 7 & 8 on the Altitude Black site (included link to not make this post too long):
Terms & Conditions - Altitude - Westpac

Particularly, Clause 7 says "It may take up to two months from the end of the promotion (22 June 2014) for the promotional bonus points to be added to your points balance." - which may answer my question about bonus points not showing.

Clause 7 & 8 (which refers to the concurrent 12 months' interest free on purchases promotion) say in part "
Switches, upgrades, customers accessing employee benefits or packaged cards are ineligible."

There don't seem to be any other links but my reading of it is if you apply for a "new" card that is not caught by the above, you qualify for these promotions. It doesn't have the very specific wording AMEX tend to have around existing cardholders not getting sign up bonuses, etc.
Hopefully there might still be an opportunity for us to take part in this promotion.

Having said that, I might have missed something as I'm sure you've been through it carefully. Do you have a link to the T&C's I've likely missed?

Albyd.

My sons already had cards so upgrading seemed to be the problem in those clauses.
Just give it a shot and let us know.

I known it's not the same, but I have Earth Black and successfully got the current balance transfer offer on a different card by making a new application (so I have 2 credit card accounts now).

The logic of you having a new (not switched/transferred) card should, in my mind, entitle you to the bonus points. Particularly in light of the clauses that you found.

I thought I'd report back on my experience with this issue of being an existing Altitude holder who has applied for a new Black card and eligibility for the bonus points offer rather than upgrading.

I heard back from the Altitude Rewards team by email. They confirmed the bonus points would be posted after the end of the promotional period as stated by the website. They couldn't confirm in writing whether I would get them in my situation (assuming as the program is outsourced) and suggested I contact the call centre. Call Centre confirmed verbally that I would and I asked them to put a note on my file that we'd had this conversation.

In short, I'm comfortable enough to keep going with this. If I don't end up getting the bonus points, I'm only slightly better off than had I just used my Citi Select card exclusively (i.e. 1.5FF pts on Altitude AMEX vs 1.33 on Select) and I'll get on with my life.

Not sure if that's enough for some of you to go on to take the plunge.

Albyd.

Ask and Ye shall receive...............

So I held both Altitude Black and Earth Black - I applied for Earth Black simply to harvest the QFF bonii pts with every intention to cancel once they banked - I held Altitude Black as it was intended to be main Amex 1.5/$1 earning card where I could warehouse pts and transfer to whichever FF program suits - all's good huh?

Well YES until I see both cards offering double pts for 3 maths for new cards - just cannot stomach that so on the blower to Westpac.

First CSO I get I advise situation - 'I hold both cards but see 2 x pts for new cards' - solution is 'Give me same deal - ie 2 x pts for 3 maths or I cancel both cards and go to ANZ'. CSO knew nothing about 2 x pts offer - but goes off to inquire. Response is 'I cannot do anything for you' - 'OK put me through to card cancellation dept'.

Next CSO I get also knows nothing about this offer - but puts me on hold to check - comes back and says 'Sorry cannot do anything for you' - 'OK I want to cancel both cards' - 'Hold on Sir let me check with my supervisor' - comes back a few mins later and says ' I cannot give you 2 x pts on this card but if you apply for NEW card we can transfer existing bal on first card across to new card and you will get 2 x pts for 3mths - would this be OK?' - works for me - let's do it.

But first 2 more pts - I do not want Earth full stop cause QF 'enhanced' their FF program so it is no use to me - so I still want to cancel it but I want pro-rata refund of annual fee - 'Yes we can do that' - BINGO.

And I also want pro-rata refund of annual fee for 1st Altitude Black when we cancel - 'That won't be a problem Sir we can do that' - BINGO.

'Let me put you through to Card Applications and they will process your new application whilst we have you on the phone' - works for me - CSO continues 'And I will keep an eye on your application - you will receive new cards in mail in 4-5 working days and as soon as I see your new card activated I will call you back to finalise process of transferring existing balance to your new card and arranging refunds of annual fees'. CSO's name was Bronte - what a STAR!

This took place 2 weeks ago - from there on process got a tad tardy - MNL call ctr contacting me seeking latest tax assessment - cards sent to branch and not direct to my home address and I had to take along last 3 pay slips to substantiate income - bit of a pain considering I already held Alt Black but ALL new applics treated as NEW Applics so you must jump through the hoops.

No biggie - today we finally got over line - I have new 2 x pts earning cards in my hands - Bronte you are a STAR - Ask and Ye shall receive.

Further update - spoke again yesterday to Westpac card cancellation dept - this time to Monica as Bronte was busy on another call - got everything finalised.

Balance on original Black Card transferred across to new Black card which will earn me the double pts for 3 mths and original Black Card cancelled - annual fee on new Black card waived for first 12mths as agreed because I had previously paid fee on original Black card prior to double pts offer.

I had also paid annual fee on Earth Black which I also cancelled due to QF 'enhancing' their FF program so I was no longer interested in chasing QFF pts - was initially promised pro-rata refund of this annual fee also by Bronte but Monica says easiest way to compensate me is to add note to file of new Black card that there is no fee payable in second year of Black cards life - that works for me.

Each individual Black card has it's own separate Altitude account and I can now see 2 separate Altitude pts balances when I log on - Monica tells me I can go online and combine both into one account or call Altitude to do this - have not followed that up yet.

Finally Monica 3 x double confirms again that my new Black card will indeed earn 2 x pts for first 3 month period - bonus pts will be credited to Altitude account in lump sum at end of 3 month period.

All in all - well worth the time and effort of calling and asking - a very good result IMHO. AS for the 2 CSO's I spoke to - Bronte initially and then Monica - what can I say - nothing less than WOW - totally supportive, cooperative and efficient - that kind of service deserves a huge tick. I say this not only because they allowed me to achieve what I set out to achieve but because of their totally professional and competent manner in which they processed my query - ladies you are nothing short of STARS.

Pretty impressive Cruiser! I stopped being on the payroll .....no point paying payroll tax so Manila would love that.
I had better get my sons onto a double for three months.

I had better get my sons onto a double for three months.
I hope you actioned this cove - points for jam - nothing less.

And I strongly encourage all you good AFF folk who hold Westpac Black Altitude or Earth to do just as I did - trade in current and trade up to new earning you 2 x pts for 3mths. Westpac call centre accommodated me without hesitation - just tell them if they don't get you set you will be heading off to ANZ Black.

It does require a totally new applic and then cancellation of your existing card - they did not charge me a second annual fee so that should not be a prob. Double points = a brilliant bonus - not be missed if you can get over the line - NIKE - Just Do It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back