Weird e-mail from Amex

Status
Not open for further replies.

whughes3

Qantas
Platinum
I have just received this apparently from Amex:

1580810673541.png

HUH??? Maybe the work experience kids have moved on from Qantas? That number bears no resemblance to anything remotely obvious. And I didn't know my surname is apparently a date...

• Haha
Reactions: Ade
I have just received this apparently from Amex:

View attachment 205419

HUH??? Maybe the work experience kids have moved on from Qantas? That number bears no resemblance to anything remotely obvious. And I didn't know my surname is apparently a date...
they got the mail merge data info wrong. Basic error on their part.

Someone dumped the wrong column into mailing software.

At 04/02/2020 14:02 I got "Get 15,000 Bonus Points for your everyday purchases" and "Hello Chicken"
At 04/02/2020 21:35 I got "349991792510760, are you missing out on points?" and "Hello 349991792510760,"

Also on the top right of the e-mail it has:

Account ending: [xx_xx] this is correct

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I am now known as 349990232134751

I thought it was a very clever spam email until I read it right through. Bet someone will get their butt kicked for this one!

I thought it was a very clever spam email until I read it right through. Bet someone will get their butt kicked for this one!

I went on internet chat with AmEx. The operator went 'it's spam, because our e-mail would address you with your name'. I answered back saying the last 5 digit of my card is correct, Member since 'Chicken' is correct, and the e-mail to web version of the e-mail is americanexpress.com so it must be legit. Operator looked at the link themselves, and went, yes, it is legit.

Then I told the operator that they need to tell someone and re-send the e-mail or send a follow up notice. They were like 'will do'.

Feels like me telling someone at my workplace what to do, except I'm paying AmEx an annual fee to tell them what to do 🤦‍♂️

I got one stating 15k bonus and a copy email stating 349992296774885
then another for my david jones store card which isnt a real amex

And the apology email has just come through!

You forgot to quote the most important part of that e-mail - the subject line "You are more than a number to us".

It's OK AmEx, I forgive you. I know what it's like to be in a large corporation. Every customer in an Excel I look at is also just a number which I dissect and categorise and mean nothing to me. I feel the same about AmEx as well. The feeling is mutual. 😄

Don’t tell me that Amex were using the QF IT team?

Edit: So, when can we expect a round of great offers, to compensate?

Don’t tell me that Amex were using the QF IT team?

These are actually usually provided or / and loaded by people in marketing, but clearly both the person who provided the template, and the person who loaded into the mailing software, missed this error. We have to cut them some slack, there's been too many holidays ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back