Warning: Fake AMEX e-mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flashback

Enthusiast
If you see the following come through to your inbox, delete.

American Express Australia Security Notification:
Please update your AMEX Contact Details
Dear AMEX Australia card account holder,
As you may already know we regularly ask our customers to update the contact details associated with they're AMEX card account (s).
This helps us better contact you with alerts, news, updates and to keep your American Express card safe and reliable 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

We protect the systems at our end but security is a mutual responsibility and a good communication between you and American Express is always required.
A recent review of your account determined that you need to update the email address and phone number associated with your AMEX AU account.

Please use the following link and update your contact details:

<<Link Omitted>>

Note: Failure to update your AMEX contact details may result in account limitations or even account closure.

Please understand that this is a safety measure meant to help protect you, your AMEX card account and the entire American Express system.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Yours sincerely,
Owen A. Higgins,
Head of AMEX AU Security,
American Express Australia

This message is digitally signed.

Signature: Qw58qzf6PJ8iJYD6OdWK8I6TzGkwVNBGuJxSZUl86AOBQ330Wmow

The poor grammar in it "they're" should be "their" gives it away every time, as does hovering over the link to reveal it doesn't go to the URL it shows in the e-mail ;)

I got one about a secure email contact system. Haven't read it in detail yet...

I also got the email from Amex about "A new secure and easy way to contact us".

You can now email Amex direct;ly from your account and someone will contact you within 24 hours.

I have been getting what I presume are fake emails from Adobe asking me to register my email address to get the latest update which is now availble.I have only been using the free version which gives me a message when updates available so the emails now go to the recycle bin automatically.
The only email from Amex was genuine-answering a question i asked-and yes they will discount the new plat card for affinity card members.

The only email from Amex was genuine-answering a question i asked-and yes they will discount the new plat card for affinity card members.

But do they offer the 75,000 point bonus as well as the discounted annual fee?

You can now email Amex direct;ly from your account and someone will contact you within 24 hours.

I received this email too, however, Amex confirm it is genuine and they do have a new email system direct from the Amex webpage. I was asked if the last five digits of my card were shown on the right hand side of the email, as email scammers do not have this info.

I think now this might be kosher as my colleague got the same email and it is from the same email address that he gets regular emails from Amex.

However from a comms perspective Amex should have just said "go to American Express Australia &ndash; Homepage and log onto your account or register". any email that I receive that provides me a direct link to log in an register/update details gets ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back