WA WAnderings

JohnM

Enthusiast
Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
Snip 270.JPG

Peak time for Leschenaultia biloba. This species is the one most commonly referred to as ‘Leschenaultia’ and it abounds in the Perth Hills. The iconic wreath flower, which I’ve recently posted about, is Leschenaultia macrantha.

Snip 271.JPG Snip 272.JPG Snip 273.JPG

Moving on from the forested escarpment into the Wheatbelt and a stop at the Corrigin Dog Cemetery Barking at heaven's door: iconic dog cemetery looks for new land to expand).

Another of those places I’ve driven past many times when working, but never stopped at.

Snip 274.JPG Snip 275.JPG

JohnM

Enthusiast
Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
Next morning, a brief look around in a nature reserve on the edge of Narrogin.

Banksia nobilis, commonly known as golden dryandra.

Snip 300.JPG

Plenty of these orchids.

Snip 301.JPG Snip 302.JPG Snip 303.JPG

Then on to Dryandra Woodland. The reserve has a main loop road but is laced with an extensive network of drive trails.

It was on one of these minor trails that I achieved the rare feat of sighting a numbat. It was moving too fast to photograph but I had a clear view of it as it ran across the open ground under the wandoo trees in front of me. Mission accomplished!

Numbats were once distributed across Australia but are now restricted to two reserves in WA (The Numbat — Project Numbat).

Snip 304.JPG Snip 305.JPG Snip 306.JPG Snip 307.JPG Snip 308.JPG Snip 309.JPG

JohnM

Enthusiast
Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
Next day. Wednesday. PJM’s day off and a glorious spring day. Off we go to the quaint old timber-milling town of Jarrahdale.

Snip 317.JPG Snip 318.JPG Snip 319.JPG Snip 320.JPG Snip 321.JPG Snip 322.JPG Snip 323.JPG

The Millbrook winery is just out of town. Not open on Tuesday-Wednesday but the grounds are accessible. Pretty spot and particularly attractive on a sunny day in early spring.

Snip 324.JPG Snip 325.JPG Snip 326.JPG

JohnM

Enthusiast
Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
A short WAnder this week.

The Ferguson Valley (Home - Ferguson Valley) is a rural area east of Bunbury, rising from the irrigated dairying country of the flat coastal plain through rolling pasture hills and, in recent years, vineyards and wineries into jarrah (Eucalyptus marginata) (Eucalyptus marginata - Wikipedia) forest of Wellington NP (Wellington | Explore Parks WA | Parks and Wildlife Service).

The forest was heavily cut for timber in the early 20th century. Now, as National Park, it provides recreation around Wellington Dam and along the Collie River downstream of the dam. It’s a pretty area with good camp sites and walking and mountain-bike trails.

On the way back, a poke around Lakes Preston and Clifton, both a short distance inland from the coast between Bunbury and Mandurah in mature tuart (E. gomphocephala) forest, which is unique to the sandy soils of the Swan Coastal Plain between Perth and Busselton (Eucalyptus gomphocephala - Wikipedia).

I also wanted to scope the thrombolites at Lake Clifton: Thrombolite - Wikipedia.

Snip 336.JPG Snip 337.JPG Snip 338.JPG

The King Jarrah near the old Wellington Mills timber-milling townsite, of which nothing remains. Even though ancient and large by today’s standards, the King Jarrah is a rare ancient tree in the mostly regrowth jarrah forest and would have been soundly exceeded in girth size in the original forest.

A marri tree (once Eucalyptus calophylla, now Corymbia calophylla) to the left of King Jarrah.

Snip 339.JPG

Quirky Gnomesville (Gnomesville in The Ferguson Valley | Wellington Mill WA) has thousands of gnomes accumulated over about the last twenty years.

Snip 340.JPG Snip 341.JPG

The recently-completed mural on the wall of Wellington Dam is a major drawcard.

Snip 342.JPG

Vinomofo is the best wine deals site on the planet. Good wines, real people and epic deals, without all the bowties and bs.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

RB

Established Member
I am guessing the fishermen were hoping the peppermint blossoms had stirred the fish up. The grasstrees really flowered after our 19/20 fires and the lorikeets went bananas

JohnM

Enthusiast
Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
I am guessing the fishermen were hoping the peppermint blossoms had stirred the fish up. The grasstrees really flowered after our 19/20 fires and the lorikeets went bananas

We could do without those 🤬🤬🤬 lorikeets in WA. Real pest here.