Virgin International Lounge, Wellington [Poor start!] | Page 2 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Virgin International Lounge, Wellington [Poor start!]

ozstamps

Sounds very sloppy all round.

Agree a $50 voucher to a café that has WiFi would cost them a TON less.

WLG attracts a lot of high flyers and CEOs etc flying on paid high $$ tickets, to do business with government (witness the GIGANTIC Virgin lounge in Canberra!) so they probably feel they need to offer SOMETHING, but something crappy, is worse than nothing at all really, to that market.

Reactions: jpk

AustraliaPoochie

AFF Supporter
A feel good deed for them, to their point of view I guess.
But as no gutting of WLG was done, there is just no space to expand to add a total brand new brand newly erected lounge there.
Ie not as it is the VA "new" lounge there.
Even PER VAd Lounge is nicer.
I probably would still pick to fly the SQ WLG -MEL flight than the VA one, even if lounge access not available to the Koru at WLG int airport with SQ booking.

Shamrock55

Intern
I think I know the space you mention, think it used to be something else years ago then was just empty doing nothing. It's a weird afterthought space, but I bet literally all they could come up with that was not being used.

As it's all open to the airport terminal ceiling it will be very noisy as you say! Boiling in summer probably.

blaz

Intern
To be fair, it was their first day, and knowing how these deadlines work, to save face they stick to the opening date despite not being ready for it. The hot food that depends on a hotel nearby also relies on their catering staff starting particularly early. However, the whole setup seems rather light on. They should have gone for quality if they couldn't go for size, and it seems that in this case they went for neither.

bullerdude

AFF Supporter
Given they didn't have an option to use someone else lounges as they do at other NZ ports (since the break up with AirNZ) i'm glad they proceeded with setting up a lounge rather than going without one. They had timelines and budgets to content with and i guess this is the result - let's hope it can be improved over time. A space to sit down and have a drink and some nibbles is all that i really require when leaving wellington. It it a pity though that no toilets were included.

The QF lounge at wellington is also pretty basic, by comparison, but it is at least a quiet space and has toilets.

AustraliaPoochie

AFF Supporter
SQ business class is relatively cheap on this route and includes lounge access.
Ahhhh, so we do if we decide to fly the SQ flight WLG - MEL get Koru Lounge access at WLG airport.
Thought we didn't.
Thanks for that one, another plus to fly the SQ plane, of course, putting in the SQ KF FF #.

Kiwi_Flyer

Flights
My Map
Ahhhh, so we do if we decide to fly the SQ flight WLG - MEL get Koru Lounge access at WLG airport.
Thought we didn't.
Thanks for that one, another plus to fly the SQ plane, of course, putting in the SQ KF FF #.
Lounge access if flying business class, or have *G status.

Rosege

I can sympathize. I'm currently in the Iberia lounge in Madrid. Been here since 3pm and my flight is at 9pm. Dinner starts at 9pm and there is hardly anything to eat. I'm about to go bring burger king into the lounge, and I'm not the only one.161258

Last edited:

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Neil Davison