Virgin Flyer Credit Cards with 10,000 / 15,000 bonus points - will it get better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I've only just noticed that the two Virgin Visa cards are offering sign on bonuses at the moment. 10,000 for the Flyer and 15,000 for the high flyer.

I'm tempted to sign up to the High Flyer given the 1.25 points per $ although the $249 annual fee is a little imposing to be honest. My question is, have these cards come with a larger sign on bonus offer in the past? Both seem quite small given the sign on offers that are floating around with other cards. Is it worth waiting in the hope they bump it up a little?

Also, does anybody have any feedback with these cards? I've heard some negative things about the mob that administer the cards...

Cheers for any feedback,

I for 50K points and 200 SCs for the standard card, as did many others. Not thinking we will see that offer again any time soon ...

I signed up around July last year and got 20k for the standard card. Had to follow up the points a few times though as it did not post automatically.

It turned out not to be a targetted offer ;)

Sent from my U8510 using AustFreqFly

I'm tempted to sign up to the High Flyer given the 1.25 points per $ although the $249 annual fee is a little imposing to be honest

Flyer card = 10K points, 1:1 earn (limited to $1500/month), $99
High Flyer = 15K points, 1:1.25 earn, $249

5K VFF difference, $150 difference.

I value VFF points at 3c each. So, 5K = 150$

So for me, its break even from the get go.

But the extra 0.25VFF / $$ doesn't excite me so much. At 3c each my 0.25 additional VFF points per $ is = $0.0075. Even if I diverted 20K of spend a year at the card, and away from my Amex, thats $150 of additional redemption.

What _is_ potentially interesting on both cards is the 4 sectors a year of 2:1 fares. However, these 2:1 fares must be paid for with the card, and the $1500 monthly limit on the Flyer version is a real problem potentially ... particularly if you want to do a 2:1 J class.

As for the possibility of gaining this card with more FF points as part of the bundle? I'd not bet on it, though anything is possible these days. Points season is essentially over, and its been a pretty sparse hunt, for me at least, this year.

If you are looking for larger bonus points, is the Virgin Amex at 30K points of any interest? Credit Card Special Offers | Velocity Frequent Flyer

Thanks for the reply moopere!

I've never really sat down and worked out how I would value each point individually. I've never accrued to Velocity as I don't fly a lot domestically and have a bunch of QF points stacked up from years back. All my flying is international and in the past few years I've done it all on *A, keeping my TG*G since 2007.

Having said all that, it would be nice to have some points I could use for domestic flights and I much prefer Virgin over QF. I've seen the Amex offer for Velocity and have considered it, however really need a Visa/Mastercard to cover those things I can't put on Amex. I do a lot of paypal transactions and of course we can't use Amex for that over here.

Its a pity I didn't catch onto the 50,000 points offer - I could have sworn that was targeted! Not sure I'd use the 2:1 free flights each year - might go and read the terms and conditions to see what limits they've put on them.

EDIT:
With regards to the T&C's for the "free" flights - it states that they need to be booked over the phone with the VA call center and availability may be different to what can be seen online. Seems a little strange. It then continues that you must use Saver, Flexi or premium fares. No mention of business class. From what I understand it seems that premium economy is being replaced by business on most sectors - does this mention of premium also cover Business??

Cheers for any input guys,

Last edited:
EDIT:
With regards to the T&C's for the "free" flights - it states that they need to be booked over the phone with the VA call center and availability may be different to what can be seen online. Seems a little strange.

Yes, a PITA I'd say. Presumably they'll also try and slug you the GCC charge as well. I believe there is a good chance the discount economy version of these flights will book into R or T class (http://www.australianfrequentflyer....booking-codes-for-dj-35665-11.html#post588512), but not known for sure.

I have no idea whatsoever if both tickets would end up in the same fare class? It seems reasonable that the "paid for" ticket would get whatever the standard paid class was, say J or Y or whatever, and the "free" companion ticket would probably get a rewards/promo style class, ie R, T, or I,D,L,P,C,D,E that we don't know enough about yet.

The reason for me diverting the conversation to the above is that once we get enough information, or if someone remembers to actually ask the GCC when trying to book one of these tickets, we'll be able to check future availability via EF or KVS without being forced to stuff around for ages on the phone. You'd still have to actually book on the phone, but at least you'd know availability/dates beforehand

It then continues that you must use Saver, Flexi or premium fares. No mention of business class. From what I understand it seems that premium economy is being replaced by business on most sectors - does this mention of premium also cover Business??

We need someone who has one of these cards, and who has made a booking, to confirm. I'm taking a leap of faith and assuming the "premium" covers both Business and PE if it still exists and is for sales anywhere on the DJ network. Both PE and Business (J) are, after all, premium classes.

But, would be great to get feedback from someone who's done the 2:1 with economy ticketing and also a report from someone who's tried it for Business or PE as well.

I have no idea whatsoever if both tickets would end up in the same fare class? It seems reasonable that the "paid for" ticket would get whatever the standard paid class was, say J or Y or whatever, and the "free" companion ticket would probably get a rewards/promo style class, ie R, T, or I,D,L,P,C,D,E that we don't know enough about yet.

As far as I can tell they are both booked into the same class, and the discount code is applied to the ticket to get the discount. I have seen anecdotes that when the 'free' flight is creditted to Velocity it gets the appropriate SC and points for half of the ticket price.

I just had a look at a booking for June, and they seem to be both booked in M, as far as I can interpret things!

As far as I can tell they are both booked into the same class, and the discount code is applied to the ticket to get the discount. I have seen anecdotes that when the 'free' flight is creditted to Velocity it gets the appropriate SC and points for half of the ticket price.

I just had a look at a booking for June, and they seem to be both booked in M, as far as I can interpret things!

Thanks for the info. Always looking for more data points. M class eh? Thats a standard Flexi economy bucket ... Would you mind having a look at your booking using this rather nifty process: http://www.australianfrequentflyer....booking-codes-for-dj-35665-10.html#post587011

I'd love to hear back if both tickets get full SC, and also if one, or both tickets get any FF points.

I for 50K points and 200 SCs for the standard card, as did many others. Not thinking we will see that offer again any time soon ...

Did you (or anyone) actually receive the bonus points and status credits? I applied back in December 2011 after receiving this offer. It took almost 3 months to get the card approved - I've never experienced this level of incompetence in applying for a credit card before. Today I called because I never received a statement since the card was approved in Feb, and was told "No, you're on a double points promotion". The agent had never heard of the 50k point / 200 status credits offer, and after waiting 10min for a supervisor I gave up.

I've sent an email to VA and Virgin Money asking for clarification, and will cancel the card and request a refund of the joining fee if this doesn't get resolved soon.

Having transferred all my domestic travel from QF to VA when they did a status-match last year, I've been really impressed with VA's customer experience. This has been the only blight - and looking at other comments about Virgin Money / Citibank I think Virgin Australia need to look at the impact this has on their brand and re-think this alliance.

Presumably they'll also try and slug you the GCC charge as well.

Nope, just the credit card surcharge (and two of them, but it's not that bad when you consider you are getting one flight for free!)

Did you (or anyone) actually receive the bonus points and status credits?

Yes, 2 days after the first statement where I had made the required spend.

I've never experienced this level of incompetence

I managed to lock myself out of the internet banking. Called and they can't fix it on the phone. They have to send me out new passwords etc via mail ... 4 weeks later and still nothing ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back