Virgin Flyer 30k / Virgin High Flyer 50K Velocity points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radio8tiv

Looks like Virgin deal is back

Virgin Flyer card, Earn 10,000 bonus Points for every month $1,500 or more is spent for the first 3 months from card approval. Up to a total of 30,000 Velocity Points. Apply by 1 May 2016

Virgin High Flyer card, Earn 10,000 bonus Points for every month $3,000 or more is spent for the first 5 months from card approval. Up to a total of 50,000 Velocity Points. Apply by 1 May 2016

https://www.velocityfrequentflyer.com/content/Specials/CreditCards/virgin-money-specials/

So for the High Flyer card it's 50,000 points on sign-up and an additional 50,000 points if you spend at least $3,000 a month for the five months after sign-up, for a total of 100,000 points? The terms and conditions aren't that clear with the bonus points.

Im not sure how good a deal this is. The 50k bonus card is $289, and it has onerous conditions to achieve the 50k.

So for the High Flyer card it's 50,000 points on sign-up and an additional 50,000 points if you spend at least $3,000 a month for the five months after sign-up, for a total of 100,000 points? The terms and conditions aren't that clear with the bonus points.
Nope. No signup bonus. 5x 10k points if you spend 3k each month for the first 5 months. That's it.

As a Flyer cardholder wishing to upgrade, is it possible to cancel, then re-apply for the High Flyer card in order to get this promotion? Or might I have to wait 12 months?
Since the Flyer card earn rate was reduced to 0.6 points per $1, I'm keen to look elsewhere to get better value. Despite the high annual fee (although with added features), the High Flyer card is one of very few that gives the highest rate of 1 point per $1 spend.

I called a few weeks ago to upgrade my Flyer to High Flyer, and the promotion was available to me if I applied online. There was also another promotion if a current Virgin Money customer applied for the High Flyer, but I can't recall the details of this 'private' promo correctly.
They also said they could upgrade manually to a High Flyer from a Flyer, but no promos would be available if done this way.
Best to call them though, they were very helpful.

Thanks for that handy piece of advice! Were you successful in upgrading? And I assume you did this online?

interesting card, how do you use the unlocked voucher? wondering if it really does offset the high annual fee.

I note that this now has a $64 fee for the flyer card that gives 30,000 points. That's actually not bad value $/point and about the same as the current NAB premium rewards card promo.

interesting card, how do you use the unlocked voucher? wondering if it really does offset the high annual fee.

Long time before replying but have just requested one for Mrs andye
You fill in an online form and a couple of days later they send you the voucher.
Can use like any other VA gift voucher towards flight-one voucher per transaction, any balance remains on voucher

Have also just ordered a Flyer for myself. Took the 18 month 0% BT offer, with half annual fee and 2 bonus VFF points for first 3 months (up to 10K bonus points/month)
Earn rate is pretty ordinary after the 3 months so it will probably hibernate for the following 15 months

The deal is actually more attractive because it used to be spend 10k to earn 10 points upto 50k over 5 months. What's the minimum income to apply for this?

The deal is actually more attractive because it used to be spend 10k to earn 10 points upto 50k over 5 months. What's the minimum income to apply for this?

Min income is $35K for the Flyer.
Min credit limit is $6K and we both received $30k (ie 24K balance transfer)
I agree the current offer is better as you get 2 bonus points/$ up to 10K per month and don't have to hit a threshhold
You do have to be careful paying off the card over first 3 months so that you don't end up eating into the balance transfer-you will inevitably have to pay a little interest if you want the bonus points

I successfully upgraded from Flyer to High Flyer as I couldn't find any other non-Amex non-QFF points earning cards that could net 1pt/$1 (most were either 0.5 or ~0.66pt/$1). Funny thing is I had used the $129 voucher from the Flyer and when the HF came, Virgin Money couldn't issue another voucher so instead gave $129 credit! (Apparently the system couldn't recognise two different cards for the same account and couldn't issue two vouchers). Plus I also got another 2 free lounge passes for the HF! Winning!

The current offer has been extended: for the flyer it's $1500 spend a month for 10,000 bonus point for 4 months (40,000 bonus points in total)
The spend earn is pretty ordinary, but it's essentially a free card as the $129 fee is offset by a $129 VA voucher which is easy to redeem and use.

From previous experience their retention team work very hard to keep you (ie they'll waive the fee, but you still get the $129 credit in year 2)

Slow drip-feed of bonus points, but low / no cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back