Virgin Atlantic 20% Bonus available again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks snufl

I likewise did well out of this last time.
Much better redemption rates than sending them to QFF even though many less destinations.

It looks like a good offer - 1:1 point conversion, so Sydney to Hong Kong is 37500 for economy (Qantas is 60000 points), premium economy is 45000, and upper class is 66667 points (Qantas Business is 120000).

It seems like they only do Sydney - HK - London routes daily, and don't service other Australian airports.

Has anyone flown with them before?

They also partner Singapore airlines, and if I've read correctly they will allow redemption for Singapore airlines, which will give more options for flying out of Australia.

I aslo, took FULL advantage last time, I am almost tempted to transfer some points over to VS, even though we have no plans in the immediate future.

pksw said:
Has anyone flown with them before?

pksw, search AFF for Virgin Atlantic, and there are a few threads. I personally enjoy their J product, and believe it is much better than many other bed seats on the market. The service is OK. For me its a no brainer chosing VS where possible with award flights given the burn ratio.

Thanks Jason - I think I will transfer some points, even though I won't fly to HK until next year. The 20% bonus seems excellent.

openseat said:
Much better redemption rates than sending them to QFF even though many less destinations.

The question of destinations really centres on how you use the scheme.

I choose to burn my ff points in SE Asia (Thailand/Vietnam/Indonesia/Philippines). The QFF scheme invariably fails to deliver flights around the dates that I nominate. When flights are available it seems that I am destined to fly via Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific before connecting to my ultimate destination.

I have no problem flying Cathay Pacific - good airline (as are Virgin Atlantic). Just seems to me that if I am going via Hong Kong I am better burning 45k points (discounted to 36k) on Virgin Atlantic versus 60k on Cathay Pacific via QFF ?. I then look to book the 2nd flight on Cathay Pacific via QFF (HKG to DPS / MNL or wherever via the QFF scheme).

I choose to split my AMEX points between the 2 schemes. Given that the future direction of Qantas is to allocate Jetstar International to 'leisure' routes I am wary of allocating my points to the QFF scheme. Seems to me I am better placed burning my points on a full service Virgin Atlantic to HKG, and then looking for a connecting flight on full service Cathay Pacific ?.

Don't forget, this offer is for members enrolled in the AMEX Ascent rewards program only.

mabunji said:
The question of destinations really centres on how you use the scheme.

I choose to burn my ff points in SE Asia (Thailand/Vietnam/Indonesia/Philippines). .... Just seems to me that if I am going via Hong Kong I am better burning 45k points (discounted to 36k) on Virgin Atlantic versus 60k on Cathay Pacific via QFF ?. I then look to book the 2nd flight on Cathay Pacific via QFF (HKG to DPS / MNL or wherever via the QFF scheme).

Why wouldn't you use Malaysian or Singapore Airlines to fly to SE Asia, both are Flying Club Partners? They don't have listed AUS-Other SE Asia rates, but on SQ eg, AUS-SIN only requires 55k points (discounted to 46K).

I'm enrolled in Ascent membership rewards and the other day I called up and had them register my VA membership details.

I then transferred 220,000 points across to VA and when I checked this morning I don't see the 20% bonus as having been applied.

dajop said:
Why wouldn't you use Malaysian or Singapore Airlines to fly to SE Asia, both are Flying Club Partners? They don't have listed AUS-Other SE Asia rates, but on SQ eg, AUS-SIN only requires 55k points (discounted to 46K).

Good point.

Typically I travel 6-8 flights to Asia a year on SQ, and one or two flights to the UK (SQ) or US (United, but booked to Krisflyer). Any award flights I redeem are typically booked on SIA.

My 'back-up', when I cannot obtain an award flight on Singapore is to try any redeem a flight via my points banked in AMEX - hence the Qantas via Virgin Atlantic issue.

Mostly I think it probablly comes down to a choice of preferring an overnight stop in Hong Kong (Virgin Atlantic) over KL (Malaysian).

I transferred last year, and have been of two minds.

Found it almost impossible to redeem on VA partner airlines, and redeemed with great difficulty to HK.

VA dont allow one way redemptions, dont allow changes without massive charges and point penalties, and seems to have very limited availablility on the HK to London segment.

The most dissapointing thing I found, was to request a partner flight. You need to nominate a date, then they get back to you in 24 hours.........if its no, you can then nominate another date......very frustrating.

Interested to hear how some of you did well out of it ??????? Am I missing something ???

Redemtion rates are great - but ability to redeem is difficult.

alexbs said:
VA dont allow one way redemptions, dont allow changes without massive charges and point penalties, and seems to have very limited availablility on the HK to London segment.

They do allow one way redemptions on their own metal.

Hi Folks

Ist post and also a thank you for the great site.

If you are in Brisbane or Cairns you can use your Qantas points to get to Tokyo and fly to London from Tokyo on VA upper class. It seems to work out OK and there were plenty of seats on VA for redemption.
I'm doing this in June for 3 of us and it seems to be about 200k points less that the QFF / BA options all the way.
I also took adavantage of the 20% option last year and will probably do it again, as it works out that the upper class seat from Tokyo to London is only about 85k.
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back