Vietnam - Best way with $$$

Status
Not open for further replies.

sking20

Hi there,

My parents and my fiance and I are travelling to Vietnam fior ten days in May/June. Whilst I have travelled Europe and the states I have never travelled Asia before. I don't want to take my personal credit card or debit cards. Would anyone reccommend the following:

*Prepaid credit card (from Australia Post? - what re the fees?)
*Prepaid travel card
*Get cash out in Vietnam from my bank account (Don't really want to carry wads of cash on me)
*Get cash exchanged whilst in Australia

Cheers,

Steph

Hi there,

My parents and my fiance and I are travelling to Vietnam fior ten days in May/June. Whilst I have travelled Europe and the states I have never travelled Asia before. I don't want to take my personal credit card or debit cards. Would anyone reccommend the following:

*Prepaid credit card (from Australia Post? - what re the fees?)
*Prepaid travel card
*Get cash out in Vietnam from my bank account (Don't really want to carry wads of cash on me)
*Get cash exchanged whilst in Australia

Cheers,

Steph

Depend on what you will need

I would recommend a number of ways to transact. Obviously cash, new USD bills is what ever denominations you will need, larger if you want to exchange for local Dong Currency

We have used the NAB traveller card to good effect.

You can also take your credit cards, just let the bank know where and when you will be there so they dont cancel the cards on you.

It depends upon what you need, very little if you have prepaid everything or to have some alternatives strategies in place in case you will need to transact for everything while you are there.

It probably is more advanced than your expectations allow at present .

There are CBA and ANZ ATMS available in VN, the withdrawal fee is $2 per transaction. I've used it countless times and found using that method was convenient as well as having a 28d MasterCard.

From memory withdrawing cash from the ATMS are 2 million per transaction (100AUD)
We also bought backup cash with us and exchanged them via Jewelry stores found around the city

When I went a couple of years ago, exchange rates were better with cash than with ATMs. This was at exchange booths and banks near the tourist sites. $A cash was fine and will exchange at a higher rate than $US.

Been to Vietnam twice in past year. All the guide book stuff about taking US dollars is a crock.
First time, I took US dollars and lost out mightily, with two sets of exchange fees. First Aud to US then US to Dong.
Last time I just took Aud in cash and changed it as I needed it.
Worst exchange rate was the numerous ANZ banks, slightly better at hotels and best rate at local exchange bureaus!!
There are loads of ATMs at Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh airports if you take your debit card. Their exchange rates are not great.
All the shops traders restaurants want/prefer Dong. They'll take US and Aussie but rate is often not good.
Immigration offices only accept US dollars so you may need some for your entry visa on arrival.

Heading to Vietnam in August/sept. Any update re best currency to take? Ozzie battler or the mighty USD?:):)

Heading to Vietnam in August/sept. Any update re best currency to take? Ozzie battler or the mighty USD?:):)

I took AUD cash with me last time. The best rate I found was from the banks (think it was Dongabank in Ho Chi Minh). In smaller towns, I just did a walk around the shops to see who had the best rate.

AUD or USD are readily exchangeable or useable for paying hotel bills and the like. Exchange rates at some of the hotels I stayed at were better than banks (weren't 5 star hotels either). If you don't want to carry cash use Citibank Debit card. Can preload in Australia with $A and withdraw VND at Citibank ATMs in Vietnam at very good rates with no fees. That and 28 day mastercard were all I needed for 3 weeks earlier this year. Can also be used at some local bank ATMs with fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Back