USA Car Hire - Insurance Options

ADFlyMore

Intern
Hi All

We are off to Hawaii in August and looking to hire a car for a few days and was hoping for some guidance on translating their insurance offering to me or any tips on what to do/avoid.

I have hired many cars in AU and I know they have an option to reduce your excess in the event of an accident, but it seems US is different, or they call it something else?

Take Avis for instance....they have:
- Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) = $28.99 per day
- Personal Accident Insurance (PAI) = $7.00 per day
- Additional Liability Insurance (ALI) = $16.84 per day

Reading the information doesn't really give you a tonne of info hence the question :)
CDW - Protected if your insurance doesn't cover you for losses
PAI - Protected from worst case scenarios after a covered accident
ALI - Covered with primary liability coverage up to $2 million

So i take it there is no option to lower the excess (like in AU) if I were in an accident?
I don't have credit card insurance so will be looking to get travel insurance and i have seen a few which includes covering a $ amount of "excess". Does this apply to US rentals? Or is it completely useless.

What option would be suitable if I were to ensure I am covered if the car was in an accident (i.e. hit another car).

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back