"Upgrading" Amex plat edge card from "public" to "affilate" card to get bonus points?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deewhy

Has anyone successfully "upgraded" their publicly offered Amex Platinum edge card into an affiliate/ professional association card and been issued their bonus points?

The offer was for existing Amex cardmembers looking to "upgrade". I read that as being able to upgrade from my 'publicly' available card to the 'affilate' card, so I am hopeful for the 20,000 points. It didn't say anything about "if this is your first plat edge card.." (which I have seen on other offers).

I am waiting to see whether it will happen. Couldn't read anything in their T&C's except for waiting 8-10 weeks for the points.

Anyone done this and can report on the outcome? At least I'll reduce the fee from $149 to $99.

Re: "Upgrading" Amex plat edge card from "public" to "affilate" card to get bonus poi

I can't see how this would work as the situation you are describing would be classified as a transfer to the affinity card and not like an upgrade as if it were a gold to platinum card.

Worth a try though, these affinity card offers can be quite generous.

Re: "Upgrading" Amex plat edge card from "public" to "affilate" card to get bonus poi

Hmm not sure. Earlier this year I actually downgraded an existing Amex card from QF Premium to QF Discovery card and ended up being awarded a bonus 7500 points which I wasn't expecting.

I changed one of my Amex credit card from "Retail" (aka Public) to the one that my professional body offers (aka affilate) back to 2006. Yes I did get the bonous point.

It doesn't make sense if they don't offer you. If that's the case, tell them that you would rather cancel your existing card then re-apply the new card - Amex call centre staff apparently try to avoid a "cancellation" in a call that they manage... so do try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Back