Ultimate Card Value

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gold Member

Established Member
Keen to hear others' opinions on the Ultimate card's value. Personally, I think its exceptional value at $395/yr! Why? I just booked a return flight MEL-BNE for $358 (which, FWIW I upgraded to Super Saver off my own bat then used 24,000 points to upgrade to Business class). Add to that the 1.5 points on my average annual spend of $40K and I can't understand how Amex are making much money out of me (except selling off my spending habits which I could care less about).

With all the price hikes on Qantas flights recently the Ultimate card certainly has to be offering decent value nowadays. I was genuinely considering switching to Amex Platinum (Membership Rewards program) instead with the new 'enhanced' QFF program but having second thoughts now.

GM

Well, if you can get redemptions, then it's reasonably good value. Amex would make money from the merchants. The $395 covers the benefits they give directly to you.

I'm sticking with Plat - $200k cap on 1.5 points earning, and more redemption options.

At this current point in time I would not seriously consider applying for a new card that can ONLY earn QFF points.

For Amex that means card with Ascent or Spirit based MR programs are the way to go ...

And, yes, this is even though as a QF WP I am among the best placed to use QFF points effectively.

YMMV ....

Last edited:
With all the price hikes on Qantas flights recently the Ultimate card certainly has to be offering decent value nowadays. I was genuinely considering switching to Amex Platinum (Membership Rewards program) instead with the new 'enhanced' QFF program but having second thoughts now.

I'm sticking with the Platinum Credit Card, as it offers both the ability to transfer to QFF at the same rate as the Ultimate card, plus many more other options.

The only benefit I see in the Ultimate over the Plat, is the extra point for QF spend, but this is not enugh of an incentive for me to give up the flexibility that goes with the Plat.

Keen to hear others' opinions on the Ultimate card's value. Personally, I think its exceptional value at $395/yr! Why? I just booked a return flight MEL-BNE for $358 (which, FWIW I upgraded to Super Saver off my own bat then used 24,000 points to upgrade to Business class). Add to that the 1.5 points on my average annual spend of $40K and I can't understand how Amex are making much money out of me (except selling off my spending habits which I could care less about).

GM

Its even better value at $125 per year and an APR (interest rate) of 12.74%. Just threaten to cancel the card - providing that you are a long term AMEX customer - and see how you go.

As far as value - I wonder how much AMEX are actually paying Qantas for those "free flights"?

Im sure that someone on this forum would have an idea.

With the changes to the Qantas Frequent Flyer program, I've had it with this product. I tried to swap it for a Plain Platinum Credit Card (so I can have choice around where my points go) and they said that I have to apply for another card and go through another credit check. I have enough enquiries on my credit file as it is thanks to a home loan application or 2 and several Amex enquiries due to job changes and new Corporate card applications.

Regrettably, there is no explaining this to AMEX and they wont budge.

Im over this caper with them - Once its paid off - Thats it!

Was even better value in its first year when you could get SYD-PER and MEL-PER. Sadly withdrawn

Well, if you can get redemptions, then it's reasonably good value. Amex would make money from the merchants. The $395 covers the benefits they give directly to you.

I'm sticking with Plat - $200k cap on 1.5 points earning, and more redemption options.

How are you getting $200k cap, I was under the impression the cap is 100k

Is it possible to get a Jetstar flight instead of Qantas on this card ?
I live in Newcastle, and want to get a ticket to Brisbane, but only Jetstar flies the route.
Also, the only available seats are JetFlex, since the return is for this friday. Has anyone ever gotten Jetflex seats instead of the standard Qantas flight?

Cheers

Is it possible to get a Jetstar flight instead of Qantas on this card ?
I live in Newcastle, and want to get a ticket to Brisbane, but only Jetstar flies the route.
Also, the only available seats are JetFlex, since the return is for this friday. Has anyone ever gotten Jetflex seats instead of the standard Qantas flight?

Cheers

I'm not so sure that anyone has ever got a flight other than the stated capital city pairs, let alone trying to use another airline. There's a lot going against trying to get a JetFlex ticket on Jetstar out of Newcastle using the offer. So much so, I doubt that this would succeed.

As a serial first class traveller using points I love hitting Telstra up with my point and a half Amex credit card.At a cost of .69% I figure the A380 trip from Melbourne to LAX cost a gross $993 for the 144,000 points one way.
Many points can be made thru business spending for free but the old telephone bill is quite ok for a surcharge if you are trying to get cheapest in town business and/or first class travel.

I found the concierge service a complete waste of time with AMEX platinum so I am going AMEX ULTIMATE for the future as they could not do anything better.

The actual cost is $662 plus fuel surcharge as Amex card runs 1.5 points per dollar spent in ULTIMATE

their new offer for 32000 points seems very very good

Earn up to 32,500 Qantas Frequent Flyer points

Apply, and be approved for the Qantas American Express Ultimate Card between 16 December 2008 and 31 March 2009, and you could earn up to 32,500 Qantas Frequent Flyer points.*

Here's how:

25,000 points when you spend $750 on purchases on your Card before 30 June 2009,^
5,000 points after your first Card spend, and
2,500 points after your first Card spend in Australia on selected Qantas products and services.+

Yes the American Express Ultimate also gets you an annual free return trip so I plan to get set as either Melb or Syd as I live in Per.
I just used this card to pay at Coles Shell Express as they are as faceless a vendor as the telephone company.
I would not hit up one my business friends with an Amex card but telephone,groceries and fuel are right up there in me wanting to get them back for their lousy ways.
That point calculator on this site home page is a real winner.

their new offer for 32000 points seems very very good

Earn up to 32,500 Qantas Frequent Flyer points

Apply, and be approved for the Qantas American Express Ultimate Card between 16 December 2008 and 31 March 2009, and you could earn up to 32,500 Qantas Frequent Flyer points.*

Here's how:

25,000 points when you spend $750 on purchases on your Card before 30 June 2009,^
5,000 points after your first Card spend, and
2,500 points after your first Card spend in Australia on selected Qantas products and services.+

Can you please quote the link to this offer? A freind of mine is keen.

Am interested to hear from any QF Amex Ultimate holders....
Last year (my first year of using the card) I was able to redeem a free flight (SYD-MEL return) with no fuss. For this year's flight (booking made today) an issue arose that I wasn't 100% happy with:
I called to redeem my "free" flight for my 12-year old - I was already booked on two flights, and was calling to get seats for her on the same flights. I was however informed that there were no more "award" seats for the return leg (MEL-SYD in mid-July), and was told that I had to pay in about AUS$17.00 - supposedly the cost difference between an award seat and the lowest economy fare available on the flight - to secure a seat.
While the cost is not an issue, having to pay any $ amount detracts from this being a truly "free" flight - I feel somewhat ripped off, but my hands were tied as I had to have a seat for her on this flight.
To make matters worse, as of now (3.41pm, 12 May 2009), the Qantas website shows that there are "Red e-Deal" seats available on this flight, so the "no award seats" excuse seems somewhat weak... :mad:

The reward flight on the Ultimate Card typically books into 'O' class, which is just one of the red-e-deal buckets. If there are no 'O' class seats available on the flight, you need to pay the fare difference between the two classes. For example, 'N' class is also a red-e-deal class but costs more, and you would need to pay the difference between 'O' and 'N'.

This issue will often come up if you need to book a particular flight, and a 'free' seat may have been available at a different time of day.

Last edited:
Agree that it's annoying - had the same issue when trying to use my flights. It's kind of sold as a "get a qf seat", but in reality, it's so restricted, that you basically can buy the seats for much less than the $395 if you are doing SYD-BNE or SYD-MEL and vv.

Those flying out of PER would be getting the best value!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back