UK Platinum Charge Card …… gone

Virgin
Platinum
Oneworld
Sapphire
Star Alliance
Gold
For those with a UK Platinum Charge card ……

This product is no longer offered. Those applying for a new card now will be getting a Platinum Credit Card.

Interesting, the product is essentially identical - but for the Charge to Credit change - except for a significant degradation of the Supp cards available. Now only one freebie, the rest are £285ea.

Existing Charge Card holders are, at this stage unaffected.

Curious to know the logic - there is no incentive to move existing card holders to the new arrangement (quite the opposite) and Amex is having to go to great lengths to explain the change and distinguish the product from a previous one called Platinum Credit (much like the Platinum Edge)

I wonder if this is a Global strategy and when Australia will fit in?

Something between the Platinum & Centurion to come, perhaps??

Attachments

• EE4AC21A-4617-4E7B-9315-8D1A296B9725.jpeg
    EE4AC21A-4617-4E7B-9315-8D1A296B9725.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 79
Interesting the statement about the Charge card not having the same consumer protections as the credit card. I wonder if that is the case in Australia as well?

Interesting the statement about the Charge card not having the same consumer protections as the credit card. I wonder if that is the case in Australia as well?
That caught my eye as well and I wondered if this change came about because of some new laws/regulations in the UK that could catch them out.

That caught my eye as well and I wondered if this change came about because of some new laws/regulations in the UK that could catch them out.
In Australia there is a huge difference between a charge and credit card i.e. charge cards are not a credit card when you go for a loan what you owe nor do the count towards your credit rating etc..

Hmmmmm 🤔

A large corporation doing their customers a favour???

As an old and wrinkly individual I learned a long time ago, from a colleague actually, to ask the question …..

“Why would ‘they’ (employer, large company, government) do something that’s better for me?”

The answer is almost always, “they wouldn’t”

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back