Two days in USA (Seattle and LA) - do I need cash?

LostRedditor

On our return trip from Europe we're going by USA and spending two days in Seattle before flying to LAX for our SYD connection. I have my no-forex credit card as well as a Wise travel card with $500 on it from which I can withdraw without fees.

I know Americans still carry cash everywhere but will we need to get any cash out? Assuming we just eat at hotels and restaurants, maybe visit a museum or a park.

While you don’t need it I find it’s convenient I think for small items and tipping so I always take cash to the US.

The biggest pain I have had with taking cash is that I always end up with large sized bills and you generally tip in $1 bills..which inevitably means needing to make frivoulous purchases just to get the smaller notes and then bringing home a bag of coins of known value. For a nation that loves capitalism, they sure don't make it easy on themselves!

The biggest pain I have had with taking cash is that I always end up with large sized bills and you generally tip in $1 bills..which inevitably means needing to make frivoulous purchases just to get the smaller notes and then bringing home a bag of coins of known value. For a nation that loves capitalism, they sure don't make it easy on themselves!

These days I’m tipping in $5 notes and even a $50 bill when I needed airport staff to help me push a wheelchair.

Breaking 100 is easy.

The biggest pain I have had with taking cash is that I always end up with large sized bills and you generally tip in $1 bills.

Reason why I tried (unsuccessfully) to get foreign cash from my bank and several other channels in small bills before I left for O/S. Used to always be able to stock up on US$1 before I left, as ATMs gave unpredictable denominations. But recently US$1 or E5 not available at any time I tried to get them.

Last edited:

Usually the person you're tipping will break it for you. Ie, bellhop, valet, waiter etc.

I always like to have some cash - just in case (apart from tipping) although I rarely use it but when you need it you need it

No cash needed in US especially in larger cities, everywhere takes cards even the subway.

That said for those worrying ATMs in US are unpredictable they ate not they all only have $20 notes so no fear of ending up with $50 or $100 note you can't spend.

Can purchase fuel for a discount at many servos if paying with cash rather than card

Went to Idaho in February for a couple of weeks. Did not handle any cash, but did have one interesting experience. I paid for all of my expenses with ApplePay through my phone except for one restaurant that didn't take ApplePay. I had paid that way at some pretty tiny establishments, and this wasn't a little restaurant. Thinking that all I needed was my phone I hadn't taken my physical credit card with me.

Being an Australian visitor in town (don't they love an Aussie accent) they accepted my proposal to drive back to where I was staying and get my credit card. I returned to one of the staff hooting - he'd won the bet that I would actually return and not do a runner.

Went to Idaho in February for a couple of weeks. Did not handle any cash, but did have one interesting experience. I paid for all of my expenses with ApplePay through my phone except for one restaurant that didn't take ApplePay. I had paid that way at some pretty tiny establishments, and this wasn't a little restaurant. Thinking that all I needed was my phone I hadn't taken my physical credit card with me.

Being an Australian visitor in town (don't they love an Aussie accent) they accepted my proposal to drive back to where I was staying and get my credit card. I returned to one of the staff hooting - he'd won the bet that I would actually return and not do a runner.
I'll affect my best Aussie accent, then. Been here 13 years but it's not perfect

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Currently Active Users

Back