Tight connection in Phuket

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by N860CR, Jan 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. N860CR

N860CR Established Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Brisbane & Sydney
    I'm off to Phuket in a few months after picking up one of JQ's very cheap launch fares and I've got a question regarding a potential connection. I'm on JQ27 which arrives in HKT at 8:50pm. I'm considering booking onto Air Asia for an 11:05 departure to BKK.

Now, problem with that is the Air Asia checkin closes at 10:20pm, so that gives 1hr 30min for me to step off the JQ plane and arrive at the FD checkin desk. Generally I wouldn't be too worried about this, however having two seperate bookings with a tight connection time on two very unreliable airlines is a bit of a concern!

Just after a few opinions on whether or not its worth the risk. If not, can anyone suggest somewhere to stay overnight near HKT airport? I can't seem to find anything close by.

2. GCS

GCS Intern

Nov 10, 2006
    I wouldn't risk it. My experience at HKT are only delayed flights.

I don't think there is any decent accommodation near HKT. I'd stay in Phuket Town - it is quicker easier to get to than the beaches. The Royal Phuket City Hotel is supposedly the best in town (about $AUD50 per night on asiarooms.com), and I had a pleasant one night stay there a few months ago.

3. Manihiki

Manihiki Newbie

Nov 17, 2006
    The JW Marriott is near the airport & is sensational. Depends on your budget.
    If your flights are on time you would be OK.