The Whisky Club discussion

NM

Enthusiast
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
Making life hard, the add-in is a Westward Whiskey Pinot Noir Single Barrel Cask Strength.
Looks great, and I did enjoy the Westward last year. But at $190 its beyond my budget even for a wonderful whisky. I expect the price is pushed up by the excise on the 62.5% ABV. The Dalmore at $135 (plus delivery) is about my maximum budget. But if anyone wants to get me the Westward for my birthday, I will happily provide the shipping address details :cool:.

AMX001595_Travel-Insider_1100x260

samh004

Enthusiast
Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Looks great, and I did enjoy the Westward last year. But at $190 its beyond my budget even for a wonderful whisky.
I must be blind because I didn't see the price listed?

We'll have to talk about a whisky day in the new year, after I move ;)

Maca44

Established Member
I love a good whisky, but since I retired my budget doesn't allow me past a 15yo DalwhinnIe at $117. Love this thread, and please keep up entering the cost of the various whiskeys if even just to dream.

carls888

Is anyone doubling up on the Dalmore? I've never tasted this one, what's it like?

pistons

I've just joined based on next month's Glenmorangie 12 YO Malaga Cask, and stumbled across this thread after a quick search for referral codes (hopefully you get a little pressie NM).
I think this is my favourite discovery of 2021 thus far.

samh004

Enthusiast
Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red

February​

GlenmorangieMalaga_Bottle_Block.png
Glenmorangie 12 YO Malaga Cask​

The area surrounding Spain’s ancient city of Malaga produces amazingly sweet fortified wines with Pedro Ximénez and Moscatel grapes. The winemaking history of the area is one of the oldest in Europe, but sadly the popularity of dessert wines fell considerably through the latter part of the 20th century, and Malaga’s sweet wine industry nearly disappeared altogether. It’s now one of the world’s rarest fortified wines, and as such Malaga casks are almost never used in Scotch whisky. Thankfully though, a new generation discovered its delights, and the winemakers get to live another day.

Glenmorangie’s Director of Whisky Creation, Dr Bill Lumsden, got his hands on a small number of incredibly hard to come by first-fill Malaga ‘dulce’ casks – the dulce being from the sweeter end of the Malaga spectrum - and imagining the multitude of sweet and syrupy tastes the casks would provide, filled them with his finest eight-year-old Bourbon matured whisky, distilled 18th February 2008.

After four years the very best Malaga casks were hand-selected for bottling in August 2020 at 47.3% ABV. Dr Bill was blown away by the whisky’s extraordinarily rich flavours. It was everything he’d hoped for… a dram that brings the sun-kissed flavours of the south of Spain to whisky lovers old and new. It's brimming with syrup pudding, milk chocolate, honeycomb and citrus fruits, along with gentle spices like cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.

$135

DalmoreDominium_Bottle_Block.png
Dalmore Dominium​

The Dalmore in rare Matusalem Sherry casks. Form an orderly queue for a top-shelf sherry-bomb, The Dalmore Dominium.

Normally only available through duty free stores, The Dalmore’s Fortuna Meritas Collection includes four whiskies matured in very special casks from the Gonzalez Byass bodega in Spain. At the very top of the range is Dominium, and because every cloud has a silver lining, thanks to COVID-19 we’ve been able to get our hands on some of the last remaining bottles of Dalmore Dominium in the world.

A spectacularly flavourful Sherried whisky that’s rich and sweet, but balanced and elegant at the same time, Dominium was matured in American oak ex-Bourbon barrels before going into casks that’ve held Matusalem Sherry for at least 30 years. If you’re wondering, Matusalem is an Oloroso Sherry cask that’s been sweetened with 25% Pedro Ximénez casks. The casks gift the whisky with a spectacular flavour experience.

It’s big and velvety, with lashings of raisins, toffee, marmalade, treacle and spices. Exquisitely bottled at 43%, if you love GlenDronach, Glenfarclas and Macallan, Dominium’s got your name on it.

$195

NM

Enthusiast
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
I've just joined based on next month's Glenmorangie 12 YO Malaga Cask, and stumbled across this thread after a quick search for referral codes (hopefully you get a little pressie NM).
I think this is my favourite discovery of 2021 thus far.
Thank you very much! And welcome to the club - you won't regret joining.

samh004

Enthusiast
Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
I note a third bottle was added to the February release.

BenRiachTemporis_Bottle_Block.png

BenRiach. Oloroso and Pedro Ximénez Sherry casks. Highland peat. 21 Years Old. Now there’s some boxes ticked!

The BenRiach 21 Year Old Temporis (with Temporis meaning ‘time’ in Latin), sets about to emulate the style of Speyside malts of old. While it was the norm back in the day, the distilleries of Speyside eventually all but turned their back on the use of peat as a fuel source resulting in that classic, fruity Speyside flavour profile we know and love today. Not so however BenRiach, who since the 1970s has been distilling with both unpeated and peated malt.

BenRiach’s Master Blender Dr. Rachel Barrie has taken 21-year-old peated whiskies, matured in Oloroso and Pedro Ximénez Sherry, American Oak ex-Bourbon and virgin oak casks, and carefully brought them together to re-create the original character of Speyside malts from the 19th century.

This four-cask-matured and peated combination produces a superbly balanced malt, while still brimming with BenRiach’s signature sweet, fruit-laden style. Smooth and creamy with a honeyed sweetness to that classic campfire smokiness, you’ll find richly roasted orchard fruits, caramelised pear, toasted oak spice, smoked cinnamon and a deliciously lingering sweet and smoky finish. Bottled at 46%, it packs a peaty punch despite its 21 years.

Now discontinued, these are some of the last remaining bottles in the world, so don’t miss your chance to Add In the BenRiach 21 Year Old Temporis. Stocks are extremely limited so be quick.

$205

Vinomofo is the best wine deals site on the planet. Good wines, real people and epic deals, without all the bowties and bs.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

NM

Enthusiast
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
I note a third bottle was added to the February release.

BenRiachTemporis_Bottle_Block.png

BenRiach. Oloroso and Pedro Ximénez Sherry casks. Highland peat. 21 Years Old. Now there’s some boxes ticked!

The BenRiach 21 Year Old Temporis (with Temporis meaning ‘time’ in Latin), sets about to emulate the style of Speyside malts of old. While it was the norm back in the day, the distilleries of Speyside eventually all but turned their back on the use of peat as a fuel source resulting in that classic, fruity Speyside flavour profile we know and love today. Not so however BenRiach, who since the 1970s has been distilling with both unpeated and peated malt.

BenRiach’s Master Blender Dr. Rachel Barrie has taken 21-year-old peated whiskies, matured in Oloroso and Pedro Ximénez Sherry, American Oak ex-Bourbon and virgin oak casks, and carefully brought them together to re-create the original character of Speyside malts from the 19th century.

This four-cask-matured and peated combination produces a superbly balanced malt, while still brimming with BenRiach’s signature sweet, fruit-laden style. Smooth and creamy with a honeyed sweetness to that classic campfire smokiness, you’ll find richly roasted orchard fruits, caramelised pear, toasted oak spice, smoked cinnamon and a deliciously lingering sweet and smoky finish. Bottled at 46%, it packs a peaty punch despite its 21 years.

Now discontinued, these are some of the last remaining bottles in the world, so don’t miss your chance to Add In the BenRiach 21 Year Old Temporis. Stocks are extremely limited so be quick.

$205
I have opted-in for this one! Normally I would not spend that much on a bottle of whisky, but this does tick all the boxes for me. And really looking forward to the Glenmorangie. If not for the Ben Riach I probably would have doubled-up on the Glenmorangie.

samh004

Enthusiast
Solutions
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
I have opted-in for this one! Normally I would not spend that much on a bottle of whisky, but this does tick all the boxes for me. And really looking forward to the Glenmorangie. If not for the Ben Riach I probably would have doubled-up on the Glenmorangie.
I had that moment of weakness too.

All I can say is that when I'm moved-in to my new place mid-March with its wine racks and fridges, I should really be offering AFF whisky and wine tastings! :p