The view from my "office"

Fair Isle. We landed by zodiac and walked the cliffs. Puffins were just beginning to line their burrows, but Fulmars were nesting. We saw many more Puffins out on the water.

We then walked an hour up to the community centre where morning tea was laid on by the local ladies. Well, not all the way, as a few cars were driving some of use back and forth. I walked back, though. A great time for viewing nests and watching lamb gambol.

IMG_4325.jpeg

IMG_4324.jpeg

IMG_4327.jpeg

IMG_4329.jpeg

IMG_4330.jpeg

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Watching a (probably old) episode of Shetland tonight and this exact blue boat & yard appeared for maybe 5 seconds of air-time.

The photo is, indeed, “Jimmy Perez’s” house. The exterior was used. Jimmy and others would sit on the wall or stand around the door, but they never went inside.

IMG_1639.jpeg
Almost Heaven :)

The photo is, indeed, “Jimmy Perez’s” house. The exterior was used. Jimmy and others would sit on the wall or stand around the door, but they never went inside.

Can you tell us if you are on an organised tour. It a part of the world that appeals, but I can't seem to find a company that goes to the Orkneys, Shetlands, Faroe islands. Thanks.

Only one puffin !! You have bin robbed..
I will see ya and raise ya….:p

View attachment 387520

It was a tad too early, so they weren’t in their nests. in the picture with the long waterfall falling into the sea, there is a patch of grass to the left. That was covered with Puffins in burrows, but too far for my iPhone. Photographers with proper big camera did very well. several Expedition crew are published, including Kev Morgans who only photographs puffins. He camped for three months at a t8me on Fair Isle. Another passenger was Norbert Rosen, a well known German nature photographe.

Can you tell us if you are on an organised tour. It a part of the world that appeals, but I can't seem to find a company that goes to the Orkneys, Shetlands, Faroe islands. Thanks.

I went with Poseidon Expeditions, who have been operating for 25 years. They do this 11 day itinerary each year as a round trip from Edinburgh before heading to the Arctic. There were only 84 passengers of various nationalities. It really was a great way to see all all those places you mention. Some landings by zodiac, others at a dock then bus to the sites. Lots of good walks, and excellent local guides. The tour leader only does the two expedition. He is a university professor by day. It was wonderful! Most days we went out at 9:09am, with only one 8am and one 8:30am departure. So civilised! 😀

I booked through my TA in Bicton. Poseidon does have a website. The cabins are all spacious, even the main deck.

I will probably book their 2026 British Isles expedition (immediately before the Wild Islands).

Last edited:

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back