The Platinum Edge Credit Card annual fee increases to $195

Status
Not open for further replies.

wxxnxs

AMEX has updated their website and launched the latest annual fee for [h=1]The Platinum Edge Credit Card[/h]

• Card type
  • Credit Card
  • Annual fee
  • $195 p.a.

Wonder if this applies to existing cardholders as well? I have heard that the Platinum charge card might also be increasing as well

That's horrible news.
they started with rounding down cents for reward point calculations
then they said 1/2 point for $ for utility etc expenses
they almost killed off bonus partners
Now they charge $45 more for less service!!!
Great work Amex!

Not taking a chance on staff travel over peak travel periods, I just redeemed my free flight BNE-MEL-BNE over the Christmas period (out on 24th, back 29th). Based on the best retail fare available at time of booking, this redemption is valued at $338. Availability isn't an issue as the free flights book into a rather high Saver RBD with VA. So I'd still consider this a rather good value card even at the increased annual fee.

LOL.

Lucky I am out of there.

But it's interesting they're increasing their annual fee in light of what they have already done with their "enhancements".

It may mean they haven't hurt their customers hard enough (ie: price insensitive)

Mmmm they seriously downgraded this card when they switched to Virgin over QF... If this fee is an increase for existing cardholders that's a pair of scissors moment for me I think :)

just an update, I got charged my annual fee in the last statement. it's still $149.

Still pad for itself with the free flight and the 2/3ppd categories make it a great card!

I hope the fee doesn't increase for those that got in before the fee went up.

I hope the fee doesn't increase for those that got in before the fee went up.

I passed on the warning a month before the increase so that those wanting to join would be able to do so on the old fee for a while longer.

Amex emails to me indicate that those paying the old annual fee $149 will retain it.

Has anyone who had a Platinum Edge credit card with the original $149 annual fee had their annual fee increase to the now $195 fee?

Has anyone who had a Platinum Edge credit card with the original $149 annual fee had their annual fee increase to the now $195 fee?

Bugga, I thought you wanted a referral. lol ;)

Original fee remains the same for existing card holders.

Mine came through Nov 24 @ $149 .. I imagine it will go up next year (?)

mine's still holding steady at $149 :), i think it's still worth it at $195 anyway for the free flight but it depends heavily upon where your origin is of course. You can still get good value booking between the eastern states if you had last minute appointments as those flights are usually $250+ each leg anyway!

Received a letter today advising that there are new insurance benefits on Plat Edge, including purchase protection, buyer's advantage and refund protection.

At the bottom, the letter notes the annual fee is changing to $195 from the first annual fee after 15 April 2015. Disappointing, but it was only a matter of time.

Same here. I thought the annual fee was locked for the life of the card. Tossing up whether it's worth it now.

Same here. I thought the annual fee was locked for the life of the card. Tossing up whether it's worth it now.

What made you think the annual fee was locked in for the life of the card? Extremely uncommon for a card annual fee to be fixed for life. Still pretty good value, IMO.

What made you think the annual fee was locked in for the life of the card? Extremely uncommon for a card annual fee to be fixed for life. Still pretty good value, IMO.

Had already paid the $149 annual fee twice while the Platinum edge has been officially changed to $195 per year

Last edited:
I received similar letter from Amex as well. However mine is from $99 to $149 for my Affinity Amex Plat Edge card (Engineers Australia). So I would say this increase is across the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Back