The American Express Platinum Card - free lounge access

Status
Not open for further replies.

lopes2017

Is anyone aware if the American Express Platinum Card lounge access extends to supplementary card holders? This was not clear from the Amex site (.....also if it extends to children of card holders when travelling with the card holder?)

From the card management section of the amex site, under platinum benefits:

American Express Lounge at Sydney International T1

INTRODUCING THE NEW AMERICAN EXPRESS LOUNGE AT SYDNEY INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

American Express Platinum Card Members can now enjoy unlimited complimentary entry to the new American Express Lounge before boarding. Jump online with free high speed Wi-Fi and enjoy complimentary dining, wine and coughtails from a locally inspired menu. Whether you’re passing through for business or leisure, relax and unwind with the exceptional service you’d expect from American Express.

• LOCATION – Level 2, Pier B, Terminal 1 of Sydney International (Kingsford Smith) Airport next to Gate 24.
• OPENING HOURS – 6:00am to 11:00pm, 7 days a week
• ELIGIBILITY – American Express Primary and Supplementary Platinum Card Members, their children aged 2-17 and up to two guests are eligible for complimentary access to the American Express Lounge.
• GAINING ENTRY – Simply present your American Express Platinum Card and same-day boarding pass at reception for entry.
• LOUNGE AMENITIES:
o Gourmet seasonal buffet
o Premium bar, including wines and spirits
o High-speed Wi-Fi
o Computer bar with printer/fax/copier facilities
o Television and selection of local and international magazines and newspapers
o Flight information display screen

From the card management section of the amex site, under platinum benefits:

American Express Lounge at Sydney International T1

INTRODUCING THE NEW AMERICAN EXPRESS LOUNGE AT SYDNEY INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

American Express Platinum Card Members can now enjoy unlimited complimentary entry to the new American Express Lounge before boarding. Jump online with free high speed Wi-Fi and enjoy complimentary dining, wine and coughtails from a locally inspired menu. Whether you’re passing through for business or leisure, relax and unwind with the exceptional service you’d expect from American Express.

• LOCATION – Level 2, Pier B, Terminal 1 of Sydney International (Kingsford Smith) Airport next to Gate 24.
• OPENING HOURS – 6:00am to 11:00pm, 7 days a week
• ELIGIBILITY – American Express Primary and Supplementary Platinum Card Members, their children aged 2-17 and up to two guests are eligible for complimentary access to the American Express Lounge.
• GAINING ENTRY – Simply present your American Express Platinum Card and same-day boarding pass at reception for entry.
• LOUNGE AMENITIES:
o Gourmet seasonal buffet
o Premium bar, including wines and spirits
o High-speed Wi-Fi
o Computer bar with printer/fax/copier facilities
o Television and selection of local and international magazines and newspapers
o Flight information display screen

Thank you for this, quite useful.

I am also interested how the lounge access operates for Virgin and Qantas for domestic travel - understand the card holder must be flying Virgin or Qantas but unclear if it supplementary card holder travelling without primary card holder and with children can gain access...

Thank you for this, quite useful.

I am also interested how the lounge access operates for Virgin and Qantas for domestic travel - understand the card holder must be flying Virgin or Qantas but unclear if it supplementary card holder travelling without primary card holder and with children can gain access...

The Platinum card does not get you access to Qantas Lounges.

For Virgin, while it is written as the primary cardholder, in practice Supplementary card holders tend to have access(with one guest). Can't comment on the children thing.

There is a lounge searching tool somewhere on the Amex website under platinum benefits. It really is pretty clear who has access and by what means (Amex, PP, etc).

Re the Virgin lounge access for supp card holders seems to work easily. They have no real way to tell a supp card from the primary card.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I am a Velocity gold and have an Amex platinum charge - I am able to bring one guest into the lounge using my velocity gold entitlements and a second guest in using my platinum charge card?

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I am a Velocity gold and have an Amex platinum charge - I am able to bring one guest into the lounge using my velocity gold entitlements and a second guest in using my platinum charge card?

I don't know about the official rules on this, but I have had success doing this at the PER VA lounge with the status and guests numbers as you.

I don't know about the official rules on this, but I have had success doing this at the PER VA lounge with the status and guests numbers as you.

Thanks I will be at the MEL VA lounge.Do you know if they swipe the Amex cards or just check the names - my platinum charge is UK issued and I don't want any issues. Last time I was in Australia they just checked that the names matched and didn't wipe or take down card numbers.

Thanks I will be at the MEL VA lounge.Do you know if they swipe the Amex cards or just check the names - my platinum charge is UK issued and I don't want any issues. Last time I was in Australia they just checked that the names matched and didn't wipe or take down card numbers.

Can't be 100% certain, but pretty confident there was no swiping of the Amex card.

100 % no swiping. All they check is to see if the name on the card matches the boarding pass.

When Amex announced earlier this year that they would open an Amex lounge at Melbourne Airport, I searched through the information available on their website as to whether my card (a Platinum Edge one) would get me and a guest in. I was very interested as my wife and I had booked to travel to Lyon through Turkish Air, travelling Business from BKK to Lyon, but codeshared Thai Air from MEL to BKK in economy. Getting into the lounge at the start would be very good.
I could not find anything on the website about Platinum Edge, so rang Amex. I was eventually firmly told that my card would get us into the lounge.
However, in early September, when my wife and I fronted to enter, we were told that my card did not get us in. When I explained that I had specifically enquired about getting in, and had been assured that we could, the desk attendant went off "to check with the manager" and came back to repeat "No".
Needless to say I was not and am not impressed with this experience and it has done nothing to maintain loyalty to Amex. I might note that I have been a member since 1984.

The AMEX agent either misunderstood you or gave you wrong information. The Platinum Edge has never offered any lounge access, you'll have to get one of the premium cards if that's what you're after.

Isn't one able to pay to use the lounge if you hold an Amex card? Perhaps this was the confusion?

I thought it was only additional guests, beyond complimentary guests, that are paid options, and only if you hold one of the platinum / centurion cards. I also don't ever recall seeing the Plat Edge as providing AMEX lounge access.

Ive heard lots of reports that UK cards are fine

No problems for us.
Mrs D has Explorer
I have Explorer and Westpac Amex
Concierge was happy to swipe Mrs D for 2, me for 2 on Explorer and 1 on Westpac to get our party of 5 in.
Lounge was excellent and EMPTY at 07.15 which may have been slightly different to Qantas J lounge, though I cannot say with authority since I've never been in there at 07.15 on a weekday. I was carrying 5x QF lounge passes just in case Amex was a no go but they weren't needed. I also used my plat PP to buy 4x Cafe Vue lunch boxes for the Deathstar flight.
Anyway, back to the AMEX lounge
Barista made the best coffees. I had three in a row
Food selection kept all of our party very happy i.e. croissant, granola, yoghurt and OJ for one pax and sausage, bacon, fried potatoes, beans and egg for another.
I'll try to find the photos

Is this all Amex lounges not just SYD?

Does it also include vanilla Platinum Rewards cards? I remember receiving a letter that this was a new benefit but can't find lounge access mentioned as a benefit on website.

Is this all Amex lounges not just SYD?

Does it also include vanilla Platinum Rewards cards? I remember receiving a letter that this was a new benefit but can't find lounge access mentioned as a benefit on website.
Platinum Charge is good for unlimited visits to al Amex lounges.Child access is variable worldwide but generous in Aus.
A number of cards (eg Explorer,Reserve QF Ultimate, Velocity Plat,DJ Plat Westpac Black) have 2 free entries to Syd/Mel but Edge and Rewards don't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back