Telstra day pass not being honoured

Hi. An currently in the US and have a dual sim, with t mobile being used for calls and data. I have my telstra sim turned off with data roaming off. I find the moment i turn my telstra account on to check texts i het charged $10, despite making no calls or using any data. Any idea what is going on? I will chase telstra directly as well.

Think I'll have a whinge here too. When roaming overseas, the network chosen will often be a slow one (or is telstra that much better?). Whilst in London, 99% of the time, I would be on the O2 network and that meant no reception at most tube stations, whereas someone on EE could keep surfing the net.
In London O2 was always shocking for me when living there. Outside London the coverage is often much better than rival networks and faster. A tip for you when roaming is you can manually force your phone to connect to a particular carrier, as long as your primary telco has a roaming arrangement with them it will work.

In London O2 was always shocking for me when living there. Outside London the coverage is often much better than rival networks and faster. A tip for you when roaming is you can manually force your phone to connect to a particular carrier, as long as your primary telco has a roaming arrangement with them it will work.
I tried switching but it would just get stuck looking for a network so I gave up 😔

Hi. An currently in the US and have a dual sim, with t mobile being used for calls and data. I have my telstra sim turned off with data roaming off. I find the moment i turn my telstra account on to check texts i het charged $10, despite making no calls or using any data. Any idea what is going on? I will chase telstra directly as well.
Telstra Wi-Fi calling and SMS | Telstra Support Try this

I've never had an issue with Telstra charging me roaming or any other fees when I have roaming turned off but receive text messages. Telstra's roaming changes announced this past April, however, seem to suggest that will no longer be possible unless paying $10 a day for the day pass.

Is my understanding correct? To receive a text message here and there and to allow my phone to ring (but not answer it), I need to pay $10 a day?

I've never had an issue with Telstra charging me roaming or any other fees when I have roaming turned off but receive text messages. Telstra's roaming changes announced this past April, however, seem to suggest that will no longer be possible unless paying $10 a day for the day pass.

Is my understanding correct? To receive a text message here and there and to allow my phone to ring (but not answer it), I need to pay $10 a day?
No, that doesn’t sound correct. But I defer to other current Telstra users if it’s changed - but I doubt it.

Normally, so long as “Data roaming” is turned OFF (MOST important), and you don’t send a txt, make/answer a call, you shouldn’t be charged daily roaming (same for Vodafone and Optus*).

*Note: the Optus implementation for “always on” roaming (ie $5 per 5GB / daily roaming) is flaky.

I was in Europe in May and Telstra worked for me to get calls and texts with roaming off - not sure if changes are occurring after this

Hmmm. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I was sure my trip to NZ a couple of months ago required a day pass for me to receive calls (not answer) and text messages. It's awhile before I'll have another opportunity to test it, unfortunately. I'll drop into a Telstra store, but I doubt someone will have the requisite knowledge to leave me confident in the information provided.

Hmmm. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I was sure my trip to NZ a couple of months ago required a day pass for me to receive calls (not answer) and text messages. It's awhile before I'll have another opportunity to test it, unfortunately. I'll drop into a Telstra store, but I doubt someone will have the requisite knowledge to leave me confident in the information provided.
Last time I was in a Telstra store and asked about it I was told you couldn’t receive texts unless you had the daily roaming charge. When I told her that I was already using it without it, she said that’s just that’s not true. Effing hopeless.

Yes, to receive (answer) a voice call will invariably trigger whatever arrangement the telco has in place for roaming, as will sending a text or having “data roaming” enabled.

Normally, just receiving a text will not. Nor letting an incoming call ring out. BUT sending it to voicemail might trigger roaming in some instances. I know Optus is a bit vague on that.

Yes, to receive (answer) a voice call will invariably trigger whatever arrangement the telco has in place for roaming, as will sending a text or having “data roaming” enabled.

Normally, just receiving a text will not. Nor letting an incoming call ring out. BUT sending it to voicemail might trigger roaming in some instances. I know Optus is a bit vague on that.
I received voicemails while I was away

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Yes, you’d expect that if setup. But retrieving them probably triggered a roaming charge?
Not if I was on wifi. I’m on prepaid so can’t trigger other charges

Not if I was on wifi. I’m on prepaid so can’t trigger other charges
Ah, Telstra also has wifi calling OS - which is the handy workaround.

I can also add definitely that receiving sms overseas require no roaming charges, on any carrier in Aus.
Calls if answered will trigger charges, but otherwise if you just let it ring out there is no charge, and you can arrange your own way of calling back for free later.

I can also add definitely that receiving sms overseas require no roaming charges, on any carrier in Aus.
Calls if answered will trigger charges, but otherwise if you just let it ring out there is no charge, and you can arrange your own way of calling back for free later.
Generally that’s true but apparently peeps here have reported that there are some 3rd party providers (MVNOs) that have zero roaming unless you have a bundle.

Also, as I’ve personally experienced and mentioned previously, the Optus $5 per day can be quite buggy and falsely trigger. One of those false triggers can be letting a call ring out or even go to VM. Which wasn’t an issue in Uruguay earlier in the year - zero roaming with Optus $5 deal (couldn’t connect to a network at all, no texts, no calls, no data for over a week - fortunately at least I had a seperate eSIM). If my Optus plan had been the $10 per day option, it would have roamed as PAYG….🤷‍♂️.

Certainly pays to look very closely at included countries when it comes to included roaming. Friends are going to Uzbekistan. One with Vodafone is covered but the other on Optus isn’t.

Last time I was in a Telstra store and asked about it I was told you couldn’t receive texts unless you had the daily roaming charge. When I told her that I was already using it without it, she said that’s just that’s not true. Effing hopeless.

I had the exact same experience back in April when I queried the changes at a store. I was told you've always needed to additional just to receive text messages and allow the phone to ring when overseas, but that has never been my experience.

When was the last time you tried this? As I mentioned above, when I was in NZ in April, I couldn't receive text messages and the phone wouldn't ring until I activated a day pass.

When was the last time you tried this? As I mentioned above, when I was in NZ in April, I couldn't receive text messages and the phone wouldn't ring until I activated a day pass.
Seems odd. Was that a regular Telstra “post paid” plan?

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back