Some London establishments unable to use Amex contactless, need the chip

Strange.

Several establishments in London can't do Amex contactless (Apple Pay). Comes up as declined, but Amex says not declined.

It is accepted but need to insert the card into the chip reader slot.

The TfL public transport network will do Amex contactless (where contactless accepted)

Had the same issue in Paris recently. Indeed, at supermarket self-serve check outs, you would select Amex separately from Visa/MC and the first step would be to ask you to insert your card, denying you the option to tap while offering tap to pay for Visa/MC.

I found it particularly annoying as I was working on the minimum spend for an Amex card that I don't have a physical copy of, only Apple pay.

Fortunately I'm also working on the minimum spend for a Visa card, which I do have a physical copy of.

Lesson for the day: always be working on at least two minimum spends at once 🤣 🤣 🤣 .

Last edited:
Strange.

Several establishments in London can't do Amex contactless (Apple Pay). Comes up as declined, but Amex says not declined.

The TfL public transport network will do Amex contactless (where contactless accepted)
I didn’t have any issues in London with mine luckily.
Use it extensively with Apple Pay

There’s a few places in Australia that do that - AMEX only works by inserting but Visa can be tapped.

I get the same using 28° MC. Tapping physical card or Apple Pay worked most of the time in UK last year and US recently but some merchants you needed to insert chip card.

Note: I find inserting a card is more likely to trigger DCC options (at least for MC).

Last edited:
Strange.

Opposite situation in Chennai, India last week.

Tap using the physical card - declined. Person behind the counter asked if it is a "foreign card", I said yes, was told it won't work for foreign cards. I requested to try again, but this time I tapped using iPhone, payment successful. Same thing at at least 3 different places.

Inserting the card into the chip reader slot - also did not work, surprisingly!

Interesting to hear these stories for the UK and the US, will make sure to bring the US physical card then especially for supermarkets where it is 6x points on with the Hilton Surpass and 4x MR for the Gold card.

Interesting to hear these stories for the UK and the US, will make sure to bring the US physical card then especially for supermarkets where it is 6x points on with the Hilton Surpass and 4x MR for the Gold card.
Remember only for US supermarkets, and in the US you always need to carry the card with you as plenty of places don't have contactless pay, even big stores like Walmart.

Luckily I have not. Have always been able to tap when "Amex accepted"
I wonder if it's related to the type of merchant terminal?
That would be my guess. Especially if the merchant knows you need to insert the card.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Currently Active Users

Back