Smallest charge to your card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveda

Intern
Telstra's method of surcharging is daft. Pay a bill one month and have the 1% surcharge added to your next bill.

This works out well until you get a final bill of $1.81 and pay online with a card. I'm happy that they accepted my online payment for $0.02. Not sure what I'll do with the 0.03 points though!

What's been the smallest charge that you've made to an american express card (and did the merchant add a surcharge?).

Cheers

Steve

Attachments

• ScreenShot035.jpg
    ScreenShot035.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 32
I believe that any amount below $1 should round up to 1 Amex MR point

Of course, depending on the card they might round down and carry over the few cents month to month. ANZ used to do that don't know if they still do.

I once received a bill from Telstra for 28 cents every month for 3 years with a helpful 'no need to pay' printed on it.

2008 was not a fiasco, as for some of us received a nice Christmas present in points. Yes, I did get a valid offer for the bonus points, but it was nearly wrecked by people who did not receive the offer, and some doing the 1 cent purchase...

Until they trebled the price for stays < 30 mins, I would frequently pay the 50 cent charge at the parking machine of a certain hospital with my Amex. I still use my Amex but now its $1.50 :(

Richard.

(At least its free for < 20mins and my best effort is 12 mins from entry to exit for having bloods taken.)

I don't really remember but my smallest charge would be around $2-$3 and not very often. Occasionally I will buy a beer at the Mill for $4.20.

50c =1 Amex point
1.50 = 2 Amex point
Not in my experience on a standard $1/1 MR point Amex. It would appear that Amex uses some weird formula and carries over the unused cents to other transactions.

Not in my experience on a standard $1/1 MR point Amex. It would appear that Amex uses some weird formula and carries over the unused cents to other transactions.
Amex seems to do quite a few things in a strange manner so is this really not a surprise :?:

My smallest charge has been $0.01 :D It was in iTunes - I had been using a $50 gift voucher, and it only had $1.68 left on it at the time (for a $1.69 song), so they charged the remaining $0.01 to my Amex... haha

My smallest charge was paypal when they took amex for the short time, 0.01 to verify the account.

What's been the smallest charge that you've made to an american express card (and did the merchant add a surcharge?).

One cent.

It was during the Amex Everday Promo.

I had gone into DSE as part of my points run and selected a CD off their $1 discount table.

At the rego it scanned as 1 cent. Seeing my surprise the cashier said that was correct as the manager had said to clear them all at 1 cent each just to get rid of them. As I already had my Amex at the ready the cashier just swiped it.

So 1 cent for 1000 points.;)

I’ve found this year many places have stopped taking amex or min charge is 20 or so for amex (and 10 for visa)

One cent.

It was during the Amex Everday Promo.

I had gone into DSE as part of my points run and selected a CD off their $1 discount table.

At the rego it scanned as 1 cent. Seeing my surprise the cashier said that was correct as the manager had said to clear them all at 1 cent each just to get rid of them. As I already had my Amex at the ready the cashier just swiped it.

So 1 cent for 1000 points.;)

Shame you didn't tell us about this during the promo. I would have had a lot of cheap coasters at home, and be sitting on a beach somewhere far away rolling in my membership reward points right now ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back