Should I stay or should I go - Hong Kong [protests] | Page 12 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Should I stay or should I go - Hong Kong [protests]

ellen10

Established Member
AFF Supporter
We will be transitting in 10 days so hoping for a smooth run after my husbands awful delays earlier this week.

Haplo

I was speaking to someone in one of the big 4's hong kong office on Friday and he told me they are banning staff from flying into HK unless absolutely nesssary.

wandering_fred

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I would confirm ahead of time at all South and Southeast Asian airports whether a printed ticket confirmation (or equivalent flight details) is required to enter the physical check in area. Or simply carry printed copies of all your confirmed reservations.

Happy wandering
Fred

vlocity160

We are in HKG airport at the moment. Airport express running at 20m intervals from Hong Kong station to the airport and in town check in closes 120m prior to departure. They're operating trains going back to the city at 10m intervals.

We have been traveling around the island of Hong Kong and even went out to Disney Land. No sign of protests at all. Everybody has been wonderful and welcoming as normal.

They're checking boarding passes before you enter the terminal as before mentioned. Not everybody has printed passes or itineraries. Security was happy letting people through with booking information on their phones.

We've had no problems or signs of any protests.

Pushka

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
I was speaking to someone in one of the big 4's hong kong office on Friday and he told me they are banning staff from flying into HK unless absolutely nesssary.
Same for Uni people.

moa999

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Looks like the protests are in the city tonight, and looking big

Ade

Flew out of HKG last night on QF128 - the flight was delayed citing "delay of incoming aircraft", but the news channels in HKG reported a peaceful protests last evening in HKG. Once in the aircraft, took another 40 mins before the pilot could pushback - citing delays with HKG ATC

JB expat

We are in HKG airport at the moment. Airport express running at 20m intervals from Hong Kong station to the airport and in town check in closes 120m prior to departure. They're operating trains going back to the city at 10m intervals.

We have been traveling around the island of Hong Kong and even went out to Disney Land. No sign of protests at all. Everybody has been wonderful and welcoming as normal.

They're checking boarding passes before you enter the terminal as before mentioned. Not everybody has printed passes or itineraries. Security was happy letting people through with booking information on their phones.

We've had no problems or signs of any protests.

Hi vlocity - I will be departing HKG in 1 week (next Monday) and am wondering if my normal way of checking in/going to airport will work. I have a 5pm flight to PEK and typically, I check out of my hotel around 8am and check in at the airport train station - drop my bags, get my boarding pass. I then do my day of meetings and get on to the train without stopping as I have my boarding pass and my luggage was checked in the morning. I was planning on getting on the train around 2pm which is earlier than I normally would - but I'm wondering if this will work. Will they check me in so early like I typically do? Is there something I'm missing re: timing? Thanks

Isochronous

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Hi vlocity - I will be departing HKG in 1 week (next Monday) and am wondering if my normal way of checking in/going to airport will work. I have a 5pm flight to PEK and typically, I check out of my hotel around 8am and check in at the airport train station - drop my bags, get my boarding pass. I then do my day of meetings and get on to the train without stopping as I have my boarding pass and my luggage was checked in the morning. I was planning on getting on the train around 2pm which is earlier than I normally would - but I'm wondering if this will work. Will they check me in so early like I typically do? Is there something I'm missing re: timing? Thanks
Your plan will work perfectly fine - in-town check-in is working as normal, just with closing time at 120mins before departure so going in the morning will be OK!

albatross710

Established Member
AFF Supporter
. Once in the aircraft, took another 40 mins before the pilot could pushback - citing delays with HKG ATC
My departure was one hour after loading and doors closed until pushback. it's that annoying air traffic again.

• Agree
Reactions: Ade

jfl

so we're booked on a OW classic award that starts in HKG in November... should I try and change it around?

Dr Ralph

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Worried about the escalating aggression from China...
That's never going to change. You may as well be worried about a weather event in Hong Kong or somewhere else on the planet.

AFF on Air Podcast

• Air Chathams – AIR019
    Sat, 07 Sep 2019 16:41:06 AEST
      With less than two weeks until the upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer changes, now is the time to make any last-minute Classic Flight Reward bookings! In this episode, Matt ch ...
  • Project Sunrise – AIR018
    Sat, 24 Aug 2019 16:12:31 AEST
      Later this year, Qantas will decide which aircraft it will use to operate non-stop flights from the east coast of Australia to London and New York - a feat it aims to achi ...
  • Choosing a Rewards Program – AIR017
    Sat, 10 Aug 2019 13:32:24 AEST
      If you're new to the world of frequent flyer points - or moving to a new country - it can be difficult to know where to start. In this episode, Matt discusses the consider ...
  • Travel Insurance – AIR016
    Sat, 27 Jul 2019 07:34:12 AEST
      They say that if you can't afford travel insurance, you can't afford to travel! In this episode, Matt chats to James Green about the importance of travel insurance, and wh ...
  • The Qantas Oneworld Award – AIR015
    Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:07:50 AEST
      Learn how to fly around the world using your Qantas Frequent Flyer points as Matt chats to James Green, an award travel consultant at Frequent Flyer Solutions. This episod ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRH