His wife doesn't want him to go (from the original post) but is leaving it up to him. Certainly one job offer I would be thinking twice about accepting but I'm not in that position.One question not listed there, and possibly THE most important one. What does your wife think?
Thanks ReLoad... great points.Are you compound based? Is the compound the work site?
Do you have permanant armed security?
Is the security provided by foreigners?
What is the security companies name ? ( then do research on them)
Get a action report from the site for the last 12 months showing all incidents.
Is the remuneration significant (my mate earner a lotto win each contract so set him and his young family up for life)
Will you be insured for kidnap -as in full negotiation and ransom payment?
What is the food like on site (that's a quick way to make it a cough assignment)
There is a lot of questions like that you need to answer and do NOT skimp on the finer details in making your decision.
I have no problems with working in PNG even though some others find it difficult.
Seriously if you haven't been visited by raskols it's just a matter of time regardless of the precautions you may take.
Thanks smithy... great to read some advice from someone on the ground.Do not go there. My brother has been based in Erbil which is in the northern part of Iraq and works for American oil company for the past 3 years.
He had compound facility and armed guards and escorts. His company evacuated all of its personnel with my brother being the last one out on Monday night. He is worldly experienced and has seen it all. He is one very relieved person to be out of there. He would return if things get back to normal....in meantime do not go..
I have been offered a transfer from my company's operations in PNG to Iraq ......... trips are on QF/Emirates in business (as flights are >6 hours). My wife said I shouldn't go but will leave the decision up to me. I am leaning towards going at this stage. Thoughts and advice welcomed.