Short paid Amex by a few cents. Will Amex charge late fee and interest on full balance if paid the following day?

I believe they will only charge interest on the balance you carry on daily basis. Pending you have paid the balance of the previous statement in full, you get the interest-free period till the day of the next statement. So, I presume, you will only be charged interest on whatever the balance is from the date the statement falls due.

Can you pay the remaining via their PayID solution to reduce the delay until Amex acknowledges the payment?
Completely instant and the balance updates in less than 5 minutes usually.

You have to set up PayID via the AMEX portal first but then it's instant and quite convenient.

I have been a day late several times usually when in the USA and when I remember it is the next day. never been charged interest but I do pay via the Amex website.

Can you pay the remaining via their PayID solution to reduce the delay until Amex acknowledges the payment?
Completely instant and the balance updates in less than 5 minutes usually.

You have to set up PayID via the AMEX portal first but then it's instant and quite convenient.
I only discovered the shortfall the next day and I paid via PayID immediately.

What are people's experiences if this has happened to you?
I’ve been late a few days and/or short - I just call and request the charges be reversed and they always do without fuss.

If you had a zero or negative balance on your previous statement then you have the full interest free period. If you had a balance on your previous statement requiring you to pay a minimum amount and you shorted it (I think that's the issue?) then they could charge you whatever the fee is for not paying at least the minimum amount. They may have not bothered for a small amount. If you paid more than the minimum amount but not the outstanding balance then you're in the interest free period and won't get any fees (appears to be the case?).

It's always a bit of a guessing game to pay the balance without loaning them money. I do whatevs to ensure a zero/negative balance at least every other month but usually every month, ie no positive balance in two consecutive months.

If you had a zero or negative balance on your previous statement then you have the full interest free period. If you had a balance on your previous statement requiring you to pay a minimum amount and you shorted it (I think that's the issue?) then they could charge you whatever the fee is for not paying at least the minimum amount. They may have not bothered for a small amount. If you paid more than the minimum amount but not the outstanding balance then you're in the interest free period and won't get any fees (appears to be the case?).

It's always a bit of a guessing game to pay the balance without loaning them money. I do whatevs to ensure a zero/negative balance at least every other month but usually every month, ie no positive balance in two consecutive months.
I always pay the full balance, but this time a few cents short

I vaguely recall that in the past Amex had a policy that if your a/c was underpaid by a small amount (less than $5 IIRC?) it was considered fully paid; this was apparently to allow for unexpected fees and charges. This was explicitly stated somewhere, but I am unsure whether it is still in effect.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back