Second card advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyb255

Hi AFF'ers, first thread, second post.

Using my rewards points for the first time for a flight to London, getting $100 credit for every 10,000 points on my American Express Gold Credit with Ascent (free via professional membership).

Now my second card is a 55 day M/C from Westpac which I'm paying the annual fee for. I use the Amex where ever possible, so only put around $300-500 on the M/C each month (around $5000 a year).

Obviously I need a non-Amex card to fill the gaps, so I'm after some opinions-

1) With my level of spending on the M/C, is it worth paying annual fee of say a Citibusiness Gold (which seems to be quite good in $1 to points)

2) Should I consider Altitude- since most of my spending is on the Amex and you get $1:2points, plus the M/C would also accumulate points. Is the 'worth' of points similar? (ie. $100 for 10,000 points) via their flight booking system?

3) Should I just leave it as it is, maybe try to knock off the annual fee on that 55 day card. The way I'm currently looking at it, ~$150 in annual fee would require $15,000 in spending to get the points back (which I don't put through). That's ignoring the insurance and purchase cover benefits.

Thanks for your time ladies and gentlemen.

Edit: I should mention I do have QFF via the Woolworths Everyday Rewards, but I'd only fly Qantas if the fare was similar to Jetstar or Virgin, so I'd rather not be locked into Qantas.

Last edited:
I would consider a $5000 per year spend quite low. I believe you're about right with your estimated spend required to make the westpac card work.

You should be looking at fee free or (threaten to cancel then fee free) points credit cards.

The woolworths everyday money credit card can be fee free, but I'm not sure if they're still waiving the first years annual fee for new customers (you just threaten to cancel after that).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back