Red-hot rooming, writing, reading, relaxing and roaming in rainy Thailand.

A few hours later I caught a Pullman-provided shuttle to Takua Pa, the largest local town, for their weekly Sunday market.
IMG_9870.jpeg
IMG_9882.jpeg
IMG_9875.jpeg
IMG_9876.jpeg
IMG_9884.jpeg
IMG_9885.jpeg

For my early dinner, I played it (relatively) safe and had a delicious Thai coconut waffle and some pork & shrimp dim sims. I was still pretty full after my large breakfast and lunch.
IMG_9878.jpeg
IMG_9898.jpeg

I also had a butterfly pea drink ... thanks @I love to travel for letting me know that's what I had on the flight to Thailand!
IMG_9881.jpeg

My entire dinner and drink cost me 80 Baht -- less than $4.

Some Thai schoolchildren were dancing in order to raise funds for their school. I figured that by photographing them I was entering into a contract to donate.
IMG_9896.jpeg

We arrived back at the Pullman after dark, and I finally did what I've been dying to do all day -- I went for a swim. It was a balmy 28 degrees, and I had the pool to myself.
IMG_9899.jpeg
IMG_9901.jpeg

And (unless I venture out to the bar for the 10pm happy hour, which is a genuine temptation), that was my first day at the Pullman. I got some serious writing, serious relaxing and serious exploring done.

In other words, it was a very good day.
 
I woke up to more than a hint of actual sunshine:
IMG_9902.jpeg

I discovered my eating place of choice yesterday, but it doesn't open until 10:30am. So this morning I thought I'd do a little bit of an explore to see if there is anywhere local that's open for breakfast.

The Pullman has bikes available for guests' use. I asked for one in order to be able to search further afield. This was what was brought out:
IMG_9903.jpeg

At first I scoffed. But the staff member looked at me indignantly and told me that this bicycle might not look like much, but it once completed the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs. On that basis I took the bike.

I cycled down some residential streets…
IMG_9904.jpeg
IMG_9905.jpeg

Found a couple of closed restaurants…
IMG_9909.jpeg
IMG_9910.jpeg

And gave up. I remembered that I had passed this store yesterday and bought some tetra packs of chocolate milk.
IMG_9911.jpeg

I’m more than happy to have brunch rather than breakfast for the next few days.

I returned to the Pullman dripping with sweat, had a short refreshing swim, and settled down for some writing.
 
Torrential rain and writing is one of the best combos I reckon. Thank you for this ongoing report!
 
Elevate your business spending to first-class rewards! Sign up today with code AFF10 and process over $10,000 in business expenses within your first 30 days to unlock 10,000 Bonus PayRewards Points.
Join 30,000+ savvy business owners who:

✅ Pay suppliers who don’t accept Amex
✅ Max out credit card rewards—even on government payments
✅ Earn & transfer PayRewards Points to 10+ airline & hotel partners

Start earning today!
- Pay suppliers who don’t take Amex
- Max out credit card rewards—even on government payments
- Earn & Transfer PayRewards Points to 8+ top airline & hotel partners

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

After that, the day went pear-shaped. And it went pear-shaped in the worst possible way: Excruciatingly slowly, in gradual increments that slowly became a cascade.

Feel free to read on – I get that reading about things going wrong can be interesting! But the tl;dr version is that after a long and frustrating series of delays, I arrived at the Pullman at 10pm, over seven hours later than expected.

BKK does its security screening at the gate, so I left the Lounge at 10am, giving me plenty of time before my 10:50am flight. I’d made sure that I didn’t have any liquids in containers of more than 100ml, and that I’d packed them all in a clear plastic bag, as per the BKK website’s repeated and clear instructions. At the gate I discovered that none of that applied and they just waved everything through.

Things got worse at the gate itself. Soon after I arrived, the gate agent announced a 30-minute delay due to the need to “prepare” the plane. There was no other announcement for well over an hour. I could work out from FlightRadar that the delay was due to the weather and that plenty of other flights were delayed both arriving and departing. But no flight information was updated on any website. This screenshot, for example, was taken just after 12pm:

View attachment 522806
Of course the airline can’t be blamed for the weather. It can absolutely be blamed for its poor communication.

At about 12:20pm 90 minutes after the scheduled departure time, and just as I was rueing the hours I’d spent at the gate rather than in that quite lovely Lounge, the word came through: we would be boarding in 10 minutes. About 15 minutes after that, the gate agent animatedly called “Business Class! Business Class!”. With some relief I came forward, had my boarding pass scanned, walked into the aerobridge, and out of it again onto the tarmac and a waiting bus.

View attachment 522807

As is normal in these situations, once the bus was uncomfortably packed, we set off on a rather long drive to the remote gate, and our plane. I boarded it at about 1pm. This is the Business Class seat on a Thai domestically-configured A320:

View attachment 522808

Then nothing happened. It seems that the bus had to drive all the way back to the terminal to collect the second bus load of passengers. They boarded at 1:30pm. At that point — finally — the internet gave us a new departure time of 2pm.

2pm came. The cabin doors were closed. The safety briefing was given. And the captain announced that Air Traffic Control had advised of a further 30-minute delay.

2:30pm came. A VietJet 737-8 pulled up alongside us. A few minutes later, our plane started to move … for about 50 metres. Then it stopped.

View attachment 522810

At 2:43pm, the Captain announced that there was a “technical problem” with one of the engines which would necessitate a return to the bay while it was looked at. At 2:50pm — exactly 4 hours after our scheduled departure and almost 5 hours after I had left the Lounge, the plane pulled back in.

At 3pm the crew came through and gave every passenger in Business and Economy a small chicken wrap and a bottle of water.
View attachment 522811

It tasted quite good and it was great to eat something.

More good news came through in the form of an announcement a couple of minutes later: engineers were performing their “final checks” and they were preparing for departure.

But at 3:10pm the cabin doors were opened again. Two engineers came on board and knocked on the coughpit door. They walked in, and five minutes later they walked out.

Nothing happened. Again. The passengers started getting up, stretching their legs, using the Business Class toilet … and who could blame them? The cabin door remained open and even the flight attendants started to look forlorn.

At 3:45pm, three hours after the boarding call, and almost six hours after I’d made my way to the gate, the announcement was made: we were to take all our belongings and get off the plane. As we disembarked, the Captain met us at the door and apologised.

We crammed onto buses again and were taken to a gate area in the airport.
A whole lot of Thai Airways staff in hi-viz yellow vests were standing around, occasionally talking into walkie-talkies. They all looked like they were under 25 years old. Eventually one of them shouted at the top of his voice to be heard:

Weather permitting, they were attempting to organise a departure at 5:30pm. Those who wanted to fly on it were to gather to the staff member’s left, and those who did not were to gather to his right. In the meantime, there was a muffin and a bottle of water for everyone.

For over an hour after that, nothing much happened. The staff were still huddling with each other and their walkie-talkies, occasionally breaking off to say goodness-knows-what to agitated passengers who wanted to know what was going on.

I sent an email to the Pullman at Khao Lak, explaining the situation and begging them to not cancel my booking if I didn’t arrive.

At 4:52pm I received an email from Thai Airways, informing me that my flight had been delayed. No kidding. New departure time: 5:00pm. Not possible. As of 5pm, we were still all stuck in the gate area.

By that stage the physiological implications of my 2 hours and 44 minutes of sleep the previous night were beginning to manifest themselves. But at 5:45pm it happened again: boarding was commencing. Back on the bus, which drove us past our old dysfunctional plane, over to another A320. A couple of minutes later I was in my seat again, 12F: second row of Business Class (of 3 rows in total), on the window. Best of all: no-one sitting next to me.

Given the time of day and my sleep-deprived state, my agenda was simple: eat, then sleep. If I could get a 20-minute doze in, that would be priceless, and probably all I needed to get to the hotel in one piece. Scheduled flight time was 65 minutes.

Of course, things still did not go smoothly. At 6:15pm the captain announced yet another delay: “ten to fifteen minutes”. But we started to move after 14 minutes.

The flight itself was very pleasant, albeit too short to provide me with sleep time.

Dinner was chicken rice. Very tasty.
View attachment 522818

I asked a member of the cabin crew what “Thank You” is in Thai. He taught me how to pronounce it and a couple of minutes later he brought me this:
View attachment 522819

That act of kindness was probably the highlight of my day.

Finally we landed at coughet seven and a half hours behind schedule. After a long, escorted walk to International Arrivals to collect my bag that had been checked through from MEL, it was another long-ish walk to the designated Grab pick-up area. From there it couldn’t have been easier to order and find my car, and after a 90-minute drive I arrived at the Pullman, weary beyond words, just before 10pm.

Positives? Well, I made it to the Pullman. Seven hours after I expected to, but I made it. And the fact that the disruption occurred at BKK rather than a Thai Airlines outstation meant that they could organise and put us on a new plane relatively easily. A seven hour delay, while frustrating, is better than a 24-hour delay!

Negatives? Well, Thai’s communication – both online and in person – left a lot to be desired. For huge swathes of the day we just didn’t know what was going on and how long the delays were going to be. Thai Airlines isn’t responsible for the weather, and the engine breaking down was just one of those things. But they could have done a much better job of telling us about it.
Late to the party @Human but hoping things improve after your delayed arrival. You couldn't have imagined the cactus weather Thailand has been experiencing this past week.
 
We have a soft spot for Khao Lak. We were there in December 2003 a year before the tsunami On Boxing Day I took a walk along the southern headland and had great views over the beach. There was a flat rock where I sat. After the tsunami there was a video taken from the same rock. I got a bit emotional
We returned 3-4 years later and stayed at the Marriot which was the rebuilt Sofitel which was destroyed in the tsunami with massive loss of life There was a sewage smell and the tap water was often brown. As well the people were mainly from elsewhere in Thailand and the atmosphere was not the same so we haven’t been back.

More importantly your TR has inspired me as we have a month in Bangkok and I wasn’t sure what to w. I obviously can’t do what I used to do walking around non tourist areas and visiting temples.
So now I will start writing my own story.
 
Last edited:
We have a soft spot for Khao Lak. We were there in December 2023 a year before the tsunami On Boxing Day I took a walk along the southern headland and had great views over the beach. There was a flat rock where I sat. After the tsunami there was a video taken from the same rock. I got a bit emotional
We returned 3-4 years later and stayed at the Marriot which was the rebuilt Sofitel which was destroyed in the tsunami with massive loss of life There was a sewage smell and the tap water was often brown. As well the people were mainly from elsewhere in Thailand and the atmosphere was not the same so we haven’t been back.

More importantly your TR has inspired me as we have a month in Bangkok and I wasn’t sure what to w. I obviously can’t do what I used to do walking around non tourist areas and visiting temples.
So now I will start writing my own story.
@drron Please write your story! I'm so glad that I have helped encourage you to write it and I'm sure I speak for a huge number of AFFers when I say that I can't wait to read it.

It was a poignant moment, visiting the Tsunami Memorial yesterday and on my agenda is visiting the Tsunami Museum which is nearby.
 
Last edited:
@drron Please write your story! I'm so glad that I have helped encourage you to write it and I'm sure I speak for a huge number of AFFers when I say that I can't wait to read it.

It was a poignant moment, visiting the Tsunami Memorial yesterday and on my agenda is visiting the Tsunami Museum which is nearby.

[Given you're a writer, please allow me to be an editor and to suggest you amend "2023" to "2003" in your post].
Done. Thanks.
I'm not really a writer and my son will do the editing. He did that for my MIL He recorded her conversations. He also writes a history piece for a local magazine.
 

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back
Top