Status
Not open for further replies.

cmon0005

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Gold
Just got an invitation only free upgrade from ANZ FF Platinum to FF Black, as a 'valued' customer at no extra cost (ongoing annual fee same will remain same as Platinum), even came with the 2 new cards inside, it said if I wish to accept I just have to activate the cards.

Seems pretty good to me anything to be wary of?

My son received the same offer.

He also was wondering if there is a "catch"

It will probably mean a hit on your credit history when the bank checks you out, even as an existing customer. But without the benefit of a points sweetener sign on bonus to a new cc. So, if wanting to take advantage of a sign on bonus elsewhere, may need to wait a few months for the credit score to revouperate.

I received same......no Veda hit as that was first thing I checked. Only disadvantage I can see is it takes away your ability of a sign on bonus for that product.

Perhaps a negotiation to get this could be done (see this thread):

[h=2]Re: ANZ QFF Black 75,000 bonus with no annual fee 1st year -only $2500 spend 1st 3 mo[/h]

We are ANZ Platinum, so what qualifies one for ANZ Black? I am a self funded retiree. Any added benefits to Platinum?

It will probably mean a hit on your credit history when the bank checks you out, even as an existing customer. But without the benefit of a points sweetener sign on bonus to a new cc. So, if wanting to take advantage of a sign on bonus elsewhere, may need to wait a few months for the credit score to revouperate.

It wasn't an invitation to apply for it, it was an invitation to accept the free upgrade and the letter included 2 x new Black cards, all I have to do is activate them.
Also I am subscribed to Veda Alerts and there has been no credit check, otherwise I would have been notified.

I received this too, but in reverse- I have the black and it was an upgrade to platinum...

i only have the card for the sign on bonus so threw it out, but may give them a call asking what-the?

Does anyone know if you can get this card (and more importantly the bonus points) if you currently hold the ANZ rewards black.

Received the same offer yesterday, with new cards, ability to upgrade at no cost.

There was however one catch that I noticed: ANZ FF Black is advertised at 1.5 (Amex) / 0.75 (Visa) points per $ spent on the ANZ website, but the letter specified earn rates of 1.5 / 0.625. Not quite as good. Still an increase from FF Platinum (1.5 + 0.5 with maximum $6k on each card per month), but still not as good as their general offer.

Does anyone know if you can get this card (and more importantly the bonus points) if you currently hold the ANZ rewards black.

If you haven't had an ANZ Frequent Flyer Black Card in the last 12 months then yes you can apply for the card (new application) and you will qualify for the sign up bonus points. If you 'switch' your card from Rewards to Frequent Flyer then you won't earn the sign up bonus points.

I am going to wait before accepting to see if I get any calls from them I will then hit them for some bonus points before accepting.

One thing to consider with the ANZ Black "upgrade" offer is the reduced annual fee. I think would be few hundred dollars a year for most people and thus more valuable than 75K points.

One thing to consider with the ANZ Black "upgrade" offer is the reduced annual fee. I think would be few hundred dollars a year for most people and thus more valuable than 75K points.

75k points could 'pay' for 2x business upgrades mel-hkg saving me thousands in J fares Vs couple of hundred $ saving on annual fee.

75k points could 'pay' for 2x business upgrades mel-hkg saving me thousands in J fares Vs couple of hundred $ saving on annual fee.

I agree. If you use the points wisely, such as flight upgrades, then bonus points have some real value. One needs to balance the uncertainty of the flight upgrade lottery with the certainty of the lower annual card fee.

So called anz to enquire about payout figure and also asked about what they could do for me to stop me going to another card provider that offers bonus points , basically got told nothing can be done, no reduced annual fee, no bonus points and they tried to talk up the $130 a year saving on the black card offer as a 'massive' saving .. Oh well lots of good bonus offers out there.

I would assume that you already had existing Platinum card 15k or more? I tried to request an upgrade from my platinum card to the ANZ FF Black and was told to put in a new application as my existing limit was 6k (minimum limit on the ANZ FF Black is 15k).

I was on the Rewards Black, then got a second card the Frequent Flyer (Platinum) as i didnt need the Black features and got an invite to the Black, dont think i get the full earn rate but not too fussed as i get the lounge passes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back