Question re overseas debit card

RedSMS

Hey guys.

Am heading to the USA (and possibly Canada) in just under 3 weeks and am looking for a card with the following preferences. Keep in mind, that my main O/S destinations are USA and NZ. I have read various reviews, and since mine just expired, I'm looking for the following:

1. Best possible exchange rates
2. No fees on transactions.
3. Earning QFF's is preferable.
4. Won't be spending more than $10-15 K within the next 12 months, most transactions will be for accommodation, meals, but will need to tfr roughly $1-2k USD per tfr.
5. Would rather an ATM withdrawal fee if it means a better rate or fee free transactions.
6. Insurance would be great.
7. Not interested in credit cards for the moment .

Cheers!

I tried using the UBank Debit Card (like credit) in Indonesia and it would not work. Not sure about other countries.

Have you considered Wise (previously Transferwise). There are a few threads on here about it

Hey guys.

Am heading to the USA (and possibly Canada) in just under 3 weeks and am looking for a card with the following preferences. Keep in mind, that my main O/S destinations are USA and NZ. I have read various reviews, and since mine just expired, I'm looking for the following:

1. Best possible exchange rates
no bank has better exchange rates than any other, Visa or MC sets the exchange rate. The only difference is the international transaction fee which can be between 0% and >3%

2. No fees on transactions.
plenty of these.

3. Earning QFF's is preferable.
only possible with Bankwest with Debit cards but you will pay a 3% fee on transactions probably costing you at least 5x more than the points you earn
4. Won't be spending more than $10-15 K within the next 12 months, most transactions will be for accommodation, meals, but will need to tfr roughly $1-2k USD per tfr.

what you are asking for doesnt matter how much you spend.
5. Would rather an ATM withdrawal fee if it means a better rate or fee free transactions.
AFAIK any bank that charges ATM fees also charges Overseas transaction % fee. so forget this question
6. Insurance would be great.
NAB has (had) one - $10pm fee, , possibly CBA has (had) something similar
7. Not interested in credit cards for the moment .

Cheers!

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back