Qantas to Introduce Group Boarding and Bag Tracking

The boarding with children thing is a complete joke, ive lost count of the number of times people with older children and even 16yos think that means them. Unless the children are under 2 and needing a lap belt you can wait for your group with everyone else.

They need this for international. Last week they loaded those who were needing wheelchairs first which is fine, what isn't fine is why the other 7 able bodied adult passengers travelling with the wheelchair pax also needed to jump the line. 1 carer fair enough, the other 6 were just taking the p155.

My next couple of domestic flights will be hlo and I welcome the groups, so my 1 regulation size carry-on can be placed in the bin above my seat.

Last edited:
This is why in the US they are far more specific with this. Eg UA has specific signage about Children under two. No ma'am, your 6'3" 12yo is not eligible for preboard (of course the US is currently dealing with wheelchair scammers, but that's a whole other thing).

It's also interesting when some airlines call the ambigious "Those needing extra time..." - some of those who decide that applies to them.

I would also like to point out that this new process is a HUUUUGE waste of time if the lounge agents don't give a boarding call to the J and QP lounges with enough lead time to make use of this system.
I left the J lounge at the sheduled boarding time yesterday for BRI-SYD, and no announcement had been made. Arrived at the gate to find that groups 3-6 were already well into boarding.
Once on board it was clear that no high status/J travellers were aboard as the 'suited and booted' rush came 5 minutes after I settled in.

I would also like to point out that this new process is a HUUUUGE waste of time if the lounge agents don't give a boarding call to the J and QP lounges with enough lead time to make use of this system.
I left the J lounge at the sheduled boarding time yesterday for BRI-SYD, and no announcement had been made. Arrived at the gate to find that groups 3-6 were already well into boarding.
Once on board it was clear that no high status/J travellers were aboard as the 'suited and booted' rush came 5 minutes after I settled in.
It really depends on the flight and the gate agents. This happened before boarding groups as well. On certain flights where the crew knows they're status heavy, they deliberately hold back the other boarding knowing the lounge call was only just made and it takes X minutes to get there.
To me this raises the question whether we need boarding announcements at all for domestic. I always leave well before any announcements.

What would be valuable would be if at T-30 there is no prospect of the flight boarding on time they make an exception announcement.
The problem is that often times there's delays and the lounge knows about that better than the app. Take my flight the other day. I sat at the lounge watching my inbound plane come in 8minutes before we were originally meant to board. I'm 100% certain it isn't boarding "on-time" but i also don't know what the new boarding time will be.

To me this raises the question whether we need boarding announcements at all for domestic. I always leave well before any announcements.

What would be valuable would be if at T-30 there is no prospect of the flight boarding on time they make an exception announcement.
I prefer to maximise time in the lounge on the assumption that:
- they call the flight as it starts boarding, unless it's a remote gate where it's called longer in advance to allow walking time.
- priority lines are available for premium and status pax to walk up at all times.
- hand luggage allowances (pieces) are policed reasonably. (If it's a jam packed flight and I'm not in J I'll be more likely to go early).

I do find it frustrating that once the original boarding time is passed it disappears on the screen and often says "go to gate" rather than having an actual revised ETA. This has trained me to wait until the flight is called to head to gate. I've taken the "go to gate" advice previously to find out the inbound plane wasnt even there.

Respectfully, if you want to board first, clearly you need to arrive before scheduled boarding time! :p

Leaving the lounge when the plane is due to board … of course people are in front of you!

I’m no QF fan-boy … but I can’t see how we can criticise QF for boarding “on time”! 🤣

Also “BRI-SYD”? I have a trip planned to Puglia, can’t wait to try this direct service to Bari!

I never wait for a call (which I do not feel one shpuld rely on jappening - specially in a larger hub with many fligjts). I plan it out depending on if I want to board earlier pr it is not so important. Usually I leave lounge to get to the gate say 5min prior to boarding (while keeping an eye on FIDS and/,or app to see if any delays or changes of course).

Usually I arrive with a few mins to spare. Sometimes I arrive and boarding has started

I see bourding calls in lounges as a courtesy but not one to rely on - I am responsible for being aware of the time, the most up to date flight info and for me to be at the gate on time.

Good feedback to give Qantas especially in the early stages of the roll out. Let us know the response you get.

I’ll also hang back in the lounge and see what the boarding timing calls are.

Though I do agree with the above posters if you want to board first then you should be at the gate when the boarding is scheduled to commence 😂

Good feedback to give Qantas especially in the early stages of the roll out. Let us know the response you get.

Though I do agree with the above posters if you want to board first then you should be at the gate when the boarding is scheduled to commence 😂
Boarding calls are made in the lounges, when the gate staff 'start boarding' in the FIDS.

A silent lounge (like most others around the world) would be fantastic IMO.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

A fairest boarding call in the lounges would be "Flight X to ZZZ will commence boarding in 5 mins". This gives the early birds an opportunity to show up at the start of priority boarding and the later ones a prompt to keep an eye on the clock. Of course, this necessitates the gate agents and lounge agents to be in sync and the gate signal their estimate at the right time. Perhaps it could be when they are about to open the pre-boarding.

Talking of boarding groups and the fluidity of pre-boarding (who's entitled vs who's not), I came across this very simple solution to it. It baffles how QF in their operational laziness (or lack of discipline in executing their SOP's) actually creates unnecessary complexity and confusion.

Here you have it: print the entitlement directly to the BP. Clean, clear, easy to validate.
Those who want it, should get it at the check-in or transfer desk where the agent can validate the need and produce the BP's, as appropriate.

AY BP with pre-boarding.jpg

Talking of boarding groups and the fluidity of pre-boarding (who's entitled vs who's not), I came across this very simple solution to it. It baffles how QF in their operational laziness (or lack of discipline in executing their SOP's) actually creates unnecessary complexity and confusion.

Here you have it: print the entitlement directly to the BP. Clean, clear, easy to validate.
Those who want it, should get it at the check-in or transfer desk where the agent can validate the need and produce the BP's, as appropriate.

View attachment 390870
That's a massive ticket (and a massive flex)🤣🤣
I hate it when they call the flight in the lounge and it's not ready to board. It's such a waste of time and, therefore, disrespectful.
I always forget that they will call for boarding so always will head out 5 mins before boarding closes (95% of the time they haven't started to board yet). Ironic since I always know that they will announce but always forget when it's my turn
🤣🤣

I'm always paranoid about this so will leave 5 minutes before gate supposedly closes only to find out boarding doesn't even start yet. How on earth do people judge whether or not they will announce boarding time given the plane is supposedly boarding via the monitor?😭😭 Or by some sheer bad luck your flight is not announced and you miss the plane?

I'm always paranoid about this so will leave 5 minutes before gate supposedly closes only to find out boarding doesn't even start yet. How on earth do people judge whether or not they will announce boarding time given the plane is supposedly boarding via the monitor?😭😭 Or by some sheer bad luck your flight is not announced and you miss the plane?
Check a bag … then you have plenty of time 😜

The problem is that often times there's delays and the lounge knows about that better than the app. Take my flight the other day. I sat at the lounge watching my inbound plane come in 8minutes before we were originally meant to board. I'm 100% certain it isn't boarding "on-time" but i also don't know what the new boarding time will be.
Much better than the lounge knowing? Flightradar24. Qantas is a bit tricky because they tend to swap their dozens of old 737s randomly but Virgin and most overseas airlines are super easy with this. Just check where the incoming aircraft is coming from (if needs be, on the days before, same route) and you know what is happening.

Even on QF, once you know how it works, you can easily tell which aircraft comes from where yo get get you. It’s not always 100% right but in most cases, I know what will happen aaaaages before the ground/lounge/app information is updated.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back