Qantas flight vouchers restriction and failure to book on line

PERLHR

Established Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2019
Posts
1,750
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Platinum
Oneworld
Emerald
SkyTeam
Elite Plus
I had tried, various times, to book on line a flight using a QF travel voucher provided to me due to a cancelled flight to the value of 300 AUD. Despite following the instructions for booking...which is convoluted enough but workable, at the final stage the process refused to "work" despite showing prices and availability and prior to payment page, accepted the voucher details and reduced the price accordingly. On payment details it says "an error occured while creating your booking" So it was on the phone to speak to agent. After some time they confirmed availability but only more expensive by over 40 dollars . When asked why I was advised, it was due to what they see on the booking conditions their side but teh agent was rather vague.
What is it with Qantas, they are proving once again to be an absolute joke.
This price increase is nothing to do with a telephone booking fee (which I was advised was waived). . They simply seemed to indicate that the price I see on line is not valid for a credit flight voucher. That seems to me, to be totally irrational and not what should be correct. Any ideas on how this could be corrected? I feel that this should be challenged. Any idea how? The 300 dollar voucher in real terms then is only worth around 255 dollars. Anyone else encounters such issues when using a travel voucher credit?
 
Last edited:
Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

We had no issue using a comp $400 “care voucher” after an involuntary downgrade. Used some for one booking and the remainder for another. Pretty seamless.

There are some restrictions on vouchers but if you got as far as you did, it sounds like an IT issue. Did you try another browser or device?
 
I have a history of struggling to redeem the Qantas GVs. I tried to use one to redeem for a flight to Santiago last week but this falls at the first hurdle - Santiago is not a selectable destination. However loads of cities Qantas does not fly to are. WTF?
 
Update. Unfortunately nothing to do with browsers etc and thus another complaint to QF will be generated. Phoned the call centre for the third time where they said.....oh the fare you see is no longer active ..what nonsense I can see it on line yet they want to add another 50 dollars. Then I get some cough and bull story about the fare that is on line would have been valid if I had used my voucher earlier...(It's still valid but issued over two years ago). Travel proposed to destination and back within validity. The airline is possibly the worst I have ever tried to deal with and just screw over their customers far to often. . I actually watched their video for use of travel flights voucher. It should be so easy.
 
Understand your frustration @PERLHR

We (apparently "I") had a Customer Care voucher for a downgraded flight-travelling together.
Tried and tried to use online.
Eventually rang as expiry was looming, it appears the booking had to be done over the phone.
Ok, I get that. I tell her the flights, get through the booking for both of us to go interstate and, nope only I could use it as "Lead Traveller"🤦‍♀️
So, as it was a $400 voucher, I ended up doing separate bookings, me a J fare and a points booking for him.
 
Phoned the call centre for the third time where they said.....oh the fare you see is no longer active ..what nonsense I can see it on line yet they want to add another 50 dollars. Then I get some cough and bull story about the fare that is on line would have been valid if I had used my voucher earlier..
I’m not a lawyer but surely that must be against the Australian Comsumer Law???
 
So in the end after some time, QF has extended my flight voucher by six months following my complaints via airline customer advocate. QF phoned me. I still don't have an acceptable answer as to why the price I saw on line , then with voucher applied was not bookable. Also, why QF when on the phone could not see the price I saw. Its pathetic and I told them so. They re issued the booking code (just like a PNR) but said I cannot book on line and need to call to book. I asked for, and it was confirmed, that I would receive a follow on e. Mail. That was now two weeks ago! 🤷. Received nothing. I think they are in all honesty a shocking airline and I think back of over 20 years dealing with BA and never had anything near like the niggling issues I have had with QF over 5 years with flying them and not nearly close to the sectors I flew with BA and to be fair with Virgin who I do prefer domestically. 🫣
 

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back
Top