Qantas Cash PayPass not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

polardabar

Qantas
Gold
I use my Qantas Cash card for small payments (lunch, coffee etc) pretty much every day. The PayPass function stopped working last week, and I've tried a couple of different locations. I rang up Qantas Cash and was told that the transactions have indeed been registered as declined, but no apparent reason or explanation was given.

After sending another email to Qantas Cash (I'm travelling overseas next week and would like to make sure that it works), I got a phone call earlier today and was told to punch in my PIN number at any ATM, without necessarily taking out any cash. That should reset the PayPass function and fix the issue.

I still have to try it out and see if it works, though. I hope no one else has the same issue, but if so, I hope this helps.

Cheers!

Qantas Cash seems to be half baked, other card providers have been doing it for 40 years. I don't use mine as I can't work out what it offers that I don't already have.

Hope you get yours fixed up before you leave.

Qantas Cash seems to be half baked, other card providers have been doing it for 40 years. I don't use mine as I can't work out what it offers that I don't already have.

Thanks, BAM1748. I hope so, too.

I'm not a permanent resident yet and don't have a credit card, so it comes in handy to get some extra points on the side.

Last edited:
Is it just the PayPass function that has been affected, ie can you still use your card for purchases the conventional way (swiping or inserting)?

Is it just the PayPass function that has been affected, ie can you still use your card for purchases the conventional way (swiping or inserting)?

Honestly, I don't even think I tried. It was lunch time in all three occasions and people were lined up behind me, so I just paid cash / used another card.

I just went to the ATM and punched in my PIN code as instructed, so I'll try paying for something later on.

It does seem rather half baked. And mine only gets used for bonus point offers.

I don't know of any provider who has 8million debit cards issued and has been doing it for forty years, and I think that's the issue. It's the biggest rollout of its kind in Aus and they partnered with a partner who is not one of our bigger financial institutions, as a result the experience has been problematic but easily classed as teething, I suspect it will be better down the track.

I don't know of any provider who has 8million debit cards issued and has been doing it for forty years, and I think that's the issue. It's the biggest rollout of its kind in Aus and they partnered with a partner who is not one of our bigger financial institutions, as a result the experience has been problematic but easily classed as teething, I suspect it will be better down the track.

Diners started in the 1950s, so did Visa via Bank of America. Bankcard started in Australia in the early 1970's and ran until 2007.

They have been around a long time and Bank of America boasted of over 100,000,000 card customers in about 1970.

Being an old guy with fading memory happy to be corrected but I remember the excitement of the plastic revolution in Australia.

Matt

Did they promise to get it to you by next week??

Regards,

BD

Yes, I rang them and told them I'm travelling overseas. They were very understanding and requested an express delivery (up to 5 working days vs. the usual 5–10).

Let's just hope it's here before my flight.

Update: I was just informed that cash cards usually take a bit longer so it'll probably be shipped on Tuesday (or Wednesday at the latest) with next day delivery. Fingers crossed I get it by Thursday.

Last edited:
Worst card ever........I've just returned from the the US where my Qantas cash Card was declined for no reason on a number of occasions notwithstanding that that it had available funds on it.

Also had problems with hotels placing holds on amounts which were never utilised and have just found out that these hold amounts, which affect your outstanding balance, will not lapse for up to a month making these funds inaccessible.

Qantas cash card website has also just crashed so called their call centre to be advised that if I was staying in a hotel not to give them the Qantas Cash card when making the booking as its better to use a normal credit card.

Will now wait for a statement (call centre could not tell me when one would be issued) and then close cash card facility entirely.

Used it at multiple shops and restaurants in Paris recently, worked flawlessly.

Yes, I rang them and told them I'm travelling overseas. They were very understanding and requested an express delivery (up to 5 working days vs. the usual 5–10).

Let's just hope it's here before my flight.

Update: I was just informed that cash cards usually take a bit longer so it'll probably be shipped on Tuesday (or Wednesday at the latest) with next day delivery. Fingers crossed I get it by Thursday.

Got it today – earlier than expected. Thanks, Qantas!

Awesome. Have fun on your trip.

Thanks, TomVexille!

Now, if I get my 28 Degrees card by Thursday as well, I'll be a happy camper ready to take off. :mrgreen:

Edit: Someone suggested I write a little travelogue, so I'll see how I go and if people are interested (AU–UAE–UK–Croatia–Portugal–Austria–AU).

Last edited:
Worst card ever........I've just returned from the the US where my Qantas cash Card was declined for no reason on a number of occasions notwithstanding that that it had available funds on it.

Also had problems with hotels placing holds on amounts which were never utilised and have just found out that these hold amounts, which affect your outstanding balance, will not lapse for up to a month making these funds inaccessible.

Never ever use any kind of visa or mastercard debit card at hotels when checking in as the hold on your funds takes ages to be released. Same applies if hiring rental cars.

When you say your card was declined for no reason, maybe in your opinion there was no reason but I would think it was due to multiple hotels having multiple 'holds' on your card so in fact you probably did not have any available funds.

Closing the cash card facility IMHO would be like throwing the baby out with the bath water as I'm quite confident that if you had a chance to use the card unemcumbered you wouldn't experience the issues you had previously.

Used it at multiple shops and restaurants in Paris recently, worked flawlessly.

That is my experience having used it widely in the US & Caribbean, in fact often when SO's NAB TravelCard was unsuccessful.

I just tried the new quicker bank transfer method to load funds yesterday before 1400 & the funds were in my QF Cash Card account this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Recent Posts

Back